Bad FPS on decent computer

Plump Hero

Essentially, I get around 45 - 90 FPS while playing Minecraft, other games are fine. Occasionally, My MC frames drop to like 20-30 and I cannot understand why. I have scoured the internet for a solution, installed all new drivers for everything, reduced settings, turned off V-Sync, changed windows 10 settings, etc. but nothing has been fixed. Hopefully somebody can help.

My specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 Ghz(8 CPUs) ~ 3.4GHz 

GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) R9 390 Series

Ram: 8 GB

Hard Drive: 440 GB SSD

I was really expecting like 200-300 steady FPS on minecraft, but now I'm stuck with garbage similar to my last laptop. Was I being unrealistic in my estimation? Please let me know if there is anything wrong.

My DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/kiLSDhyy

2 minutes ago, Plump Hero said:

Essentially, I get around 45 - 90 FPS while playing Minecraft, other games are fine. Occasionally, My MC frames drop to like 20-30 and I cannot understand why. I have scoured the internet for a solution, installed all new drivers for everything, reduced settings, turned off V-Sync, changed windows 10 settings, etc. but nothing has been fixed. Hopefully somebody can help.

My specs:

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700 CPU @ 3.40 Ghz(8 CPUs) ~ 3.4GHz 

GPU: AMD Radeon(TM) R9 390 Series

Ram: 8 GB

Hard Drive: 440 GB SSD

I was really expecting like 200-300 steady FPS on minecraft, but now I'm stuck with garbage similar to my last laptop. Was I being unrealistic in my estimation? Please let me know if there is anything wrong.

My DxDiag: http://pastebin.com/kiLSDhyy

If you're on the java version of Minecraft, I would advise trying to install Optifine. Minecraft is a CPU-bound game that cannot take advantage of more than a single core at a time out of the box, however if you install Optifine the game will be able to take advantage of multiple cores and thus should theoretically fix your frames issue.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

I bet you didn't use DDU when you reinstalled gpu drivers.

Everyone should own a vive.

1 minute ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

If you're on the java version of Minecraft, I would advise trying to install Optifine. Minecraft is a CPU-bound game that cannot take advantage of more than a single core at a time out of the box, however if you install Optifine the game will be able to take advantage of multiple cores and thus should theoretically fix your frames issue.

I have optifine, I even downloaded the newest version to see if that helped, thanks for the idea though.

1 minute ago, MANIDY inc said:

I bet you didn't use DDU when you reinstalled gpu drivers.

DDU when I reinstalled GPU drivers? I'm not too good at computers, it would be great of you could explain would that is. Thanks.

Just now, Plump Hero said:

I have optifine, I even downloaded the newest version to see if that helped, thanks for the idea though.

DDU when I reinstalled GPU drivers? I'm not too good at computers, it would be great of you could explain would that is. Thanks.

A quick google search found that its something that uninstalls graphics drivers.

My procrastination is the bane of my existence.

I make games and stuff in my spare time.

2 minutes ago, Plump Hero said:

It uninstalls your old gpu driver. if you just download a new one without getting rid of the old one it can mess with your fps and shit.

Everyone should own a vive.

19 minutes ago, UnbrokenMotion said:

A quick google search found that its something that uninstalls graphics drivers.

18 minutes ago, MANIDY inc said:

It uninstalls your old gpu driver. if you just download a new one without getting rid of the old one it can mess with your fps and shit.

Okay, thank you. I will test that now.

EDIT: Didn't really do much. Still have the same FPS.

Default settings I would say 200+ FPS. Even with the 6700's integrated intel HD 530, you should still be getting higher FPS than what you say you are getting now... Have you made sure Java is up to date? Make sure the game's using the 64 bit version if so. When you're in the launcher, click 'edit profile' in the bottom left. In the profile editor, make sure your executable is set to something like "C:\Program Files\Java\jre<version number>\bin\javaw.exe". (jre<version number> being the most up to date java version in the Java folder)

Under JVM arguments, paste this in: 

-Xmx4G -Xms4G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -client -d64

See if any of that helps. The above will allocate 4GB of RAM to minecraft, you can lower it if you need to, 4GB is kind of excessive for vanilla. 

21 hours ago, elpiop said:

Default settings I would say 200+ FPS. Even with the 6700's integrated intel HD 530, you should still be getting higher FPS than what you say you are getting now... Have you made sure Java is up to date? Make sure the game's using the 64 bit version if so. When you're in the launcher, click 'edit profile' in the bottom left. In the profile editor, make sure your executable is set to something like "C:\Program Files\Java\jre<version number>\bin\javaw.exe". (jre<version number> being the most up to date java version in the Java folder)

Under JVM arguments, paste this in: 

-Xmx4G -Xms4G -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+CMSIncrementalMode -XX:-UseAdaptiveSizePolicy -client -d64

See if any of that helps. The above will allocate 4GB of RAM to minecraft, you can lower it if you need to, 4GB is kind of excessive for vanilla. 

Tried both, neither seems to be the problem.