Why do we overclock?

My current, stable GTX 1070 overclock gets me around 3 - 15% additional performance, depending on the game or program. And that's on top of the overclock that GPU-boost gives me, which is 1999 Mhz on the core, without manual efforts. That's worth it, IMO, and these cards are pretty high-priced, so I want to get performance out of it that makes it worthwhile.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

My current, stable GTX 1070 overclock gets me around 3 - 15% additional performance, depending on the game or program. And that's on top of the overclock that GPU-boost gives me, which is 1999 Mhz on the core, without manual efforts. That's worth it, IMO, and these cards are pretty high-priced, so I want to get performance out of it that makes it worthwhile.

Nice dude. What's considered a dangerous level of mV overvolt? I added +25mV but is that bad or am I still in a save zone because the GPU would down clock itself to protect the hardware right?

7 hours ago, Soundsystem90 said:

-snip-

Sometimes the greatest discoveries were made by asking "stupid" questions and if I gained new information by asking a stupid question, then no question is ever stupid. :) Have a nice day man!

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

My EVGA GTX 1070 SC is voltage-locked in its BIOS to 1.0930v, so I simply cranked the voltage slider to the max, which is safe, while also cranking the power and temperature limits, and then have searched for the maximum stable core and memory frequencies, with different fan-profiles.

I just installed the thermal pad mod on my GPU, so I might be able to push it a little further, now. I hope I will be able to.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

10 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

My EVGA GTX 1070 SC is voltage-locked in its BIOS to 1.0930v, so I simply cranked the voltage slider to the max, which is safe, while also cranking the power and temperature limits, and then have searched for the maximum stable core and memory frequencies, with different fan-profiles.

I just installed the thermal pad mod on my GPU, so I might be able to push it a little further, now. I hope I will be able to.

Does this mod work for a GTX 980 Ti FTW?? I'd love to keep my GPU under 65c or lower and I don't want to water cool. If I can do that, then I won't mind OC-ing.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

The EVGA 10XX ACX 3.0 cards were missing proper thermal pads, so they need the mod, and doing the mod does a lot to bring down temperatures (though my idle temp is still 35 - 36C after installing the pads). Your 980ti probably already has thermal pads installed on the VRAM, and VRM, but you can check to see, though it might require removing the cooler from the PCB.

If your GPU has a backplate, you can check to see if there's thermal padding between the backplate and the PCB. If there isn't, adding some would help improve heat transfer away from the PCB, and bring down temperatures a little.

You can also set up a more aggressive fan-profile to keep your temperature down.

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

The EVGA 10XX ACX 3.0 cards were missing proper thermal pads, so they need the mod, and doing the mod does a lot to bring down temperatures (though my idle temp is still 35 - 36C after installing the pads). Your 980ti probably already has thermal pads installed on the VRAM, and VRM, but you can check to see, though it might require removing the cooler from the PCB.

If your GPU has a backplate, you can check to see if there's thermal padding between the backplate and the PCB. If there isn't, adding some would help improve heat transfer away from the PCB, and bring down temperatures a little.

You can also set up a more aggressive fan-profile to keep your temperature down.

I'll be sure to take a look next time I go to clean my desktop. But I guess at the end, is OC-ing a sport then? Or just because we can? Also which is better MSI afterburner or EVGA's overclocking software? MSI afterburner glitches for me sometimes.

It depends. I haven't had any issues with Afterburner, so, if I wasn't going set a manual voltage curve, then I might just use it. But if I want to get into a manual voltage curve to maximize my overclock, or to get the GPU to stay within certain performance parameters, then I'd look into using Precision X. Either is useful.

12 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

It depends. I haven't had any issues with Afterburner, so, if I wasn't going set a manual voltage curve, then I might just use it. But if I want to get into a manual voltage curve to maximize my overclock, or to get the GPU to stay within certain performance parameters, then I'd look into using Precision X. Either is useful.

So one makes a curve and the other holds it there? 

I overclock for fun because games are boring for me. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

1 minute ago, Jumper118 said:

I overclock for fun because games are boring for me. 

Haha, they can be boring. xD

Just now, Josh_Grid21 said:

Haha, they can be boring. xD

I normally play a game for 10-15mins before I get bored. When I new benchmark comes or I get a new hardware I might spend 3-4 hours a day. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016