make 1920x1080 27" 144hz to 2560x1440 144hz with nvidia control panel custom resolution

alright so ive been looking for a 2560x1440 144hz monitor but theyre so expensive. currently i have a 24" 1920x1080 monitor and with nvidia control panel i can set the custom resolution to 2560x1440 at 144hz but of course it doesnt look as good as a 27" 2560x1440 144hz monitor. so i was thinking, would i be able to get a 27" 1920x1080 144hz monitor and set the custom resolution to 2560x1440 at 144hz and have it be the same as an actual 2560x1440 144hz monitor? can someone with a 144hz 1920x1080 27" monitor and nvidia graphics card try this out for me if possible?

"The best chapter of Naruto is when Goku helps Pikachu to prevent Spider-Man to drown at the Titanic." 
"I have a fear that one day when I attempt to take a shit, the shit will take me instead." 
"You wouldn't have won, if I hadn't loss, man."     "If you give a man an apple it'll keep the doctor away, but if you teach a man to apple he becomes a doctor for life" 

that's not how it works, sadly. you can set a higher resolution but that'll simply be a downsampled image. setting a higher refresh rate is "overclocking" your monitor and can be risky. at most you can do 70-75 hz overclock 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

that's not how it works, sadly. you can set a higher resolution but that'll simply be a downsampled image. setting a higher refresh rate is "overclocking" your monitor and can be risky. at most you can do 70-75 hz overclock 

alright thank you, but I don't think that it's overclocking because the 1920x1080 already has 144hz and you're setting it to 2560x1440 144hz so you're necessarily only changing the resolution and not the refresh rate.

"The best chapter of Naruto is when Goku helps Pikachu to prevent Spider-Man to drown at the Titanic." 
"I have a fear that one day when I attempt to take a shit, the shit will take me instead." 
"You wouldn't have won, if I hadn't loss, man."     "If you give a man an apple it'll keep the doctor away, but if you teach a man to apple he becomes a doctor for life" 

ah my apologies, i read you had a 1080p 60hz monitor and want to go to 144hz with the same monitor. 

but yeah you can set a higher resolution. but it won't look exactly the same as a native 1440p screen. 

Just now, Technicolors said:

ah my apologies, i read you had a 1080p 60hz monitor and want to go to 144hz with the same monitor. 

but yeah you can set a higher resolution. but it won't look exactly the same as a native 1440p screen. 

alright thank you

7 minutes ago, SomePurpleRandom said:

Snip

The short answer is "yes you can do that". the long answer is "the monitor itself, no matter what resolution you tell it to display, is only capable of 1920x1080. If you try running 3840x2160 on a 1080p display, you will essentially be applying anti aliasing to your display. It will visibly have less jaggies, which can be desirable, but it will also be slightly blurry (although not to a noticeable degree), due to the nature of how a panel needs to display a finer resolution on a more coarse panel. Bottom line is that 1440p will probably look a bit better than normal 1080p, but its not going to be as good as the real thing." Also keep in mind that increasing the resolution also increases the workload put onto your hardware, so make sure your system is strong enough to handle it.

You can do that but it won't make any difference, you'll see 2560x1440 available, but it will downscale to 1920x1080, this happens because you can't change the amount of pixels on your monitor.