Total System Freeze- Help

Hello, people. On Saturday I gave a friend of mine my single 8GB stick of ram because for some reason his motherboard wouldn't take both his sticks. We tested out his RAM on my computer and it worked fine, I later on installed my R9 Fury Nitro which I bought. Ever since, there have been complete system freezes when I play games that will not go away over time. It happened 2 times already today, 2 times yesterday and 1 time on Sunday. Could it be because of my graphics card or is my friend's ram the culprit? I have already notified him that we will switch RAM again because he told me that if I saw any defects he wanted them back to RMA them or some shit.

I have a Fury Nitro and an FX 8320E. Screw my life?

4 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Hello, people. On Saturday I gave a friend of mine my single 8GB stick of ram because for some reason his motherboard wouldn't take both his sticks. We tested out his RAM on my computer and it worked fine, I later on installed my R9 Fury Nitro which I bought. Ever since, there have been complete system freezes when I play games that will not go away over time. It happened 2 times already today, 2 times yesterday and 1 time on Sunday. Could it be because of my graphics card or is my friend's ram the culprit? I have already notified him that we will switch RAM again because he told me that if I saw any defects he wanted them back to RMA them or some shit.

Run memtest.

1 minute ago, JoeyDM said:

Run memtest.

If it shows that the RAM is not the problem should I RMA my GPU?

1 minute ago, Phoenix721 said:

If it shows that the RAM is not the problem should I RMA my GPU?

Potentially. Run various stress tests to determine whether or not the GPU is unstable.

Just now, JoeyDM said:

Potentially. Run various stress tests to determine whether or not the GPU is unstable.

It's not that there are artifacts, the system just completely freezes (in 1 or 2 of those I was able to get some mouse movement but nothing else)

Just now, Phoenix721 said:

It's not that there are artifacts, the system just completely freezes (in 1 or 2 of those I was able to get some mouse movement but nothing else)

What happens exactly before it does that? Is it doing anything stressful? Is it doing it right when the PC boots?

Nothing. It just craps out at random moments. No artifacts of any kind whatsoever.

Just now, Phoenix721 said:

Nothing. It just craps out at random moments. No artifacts of any kind whatsoever.

Is there another GPU that could be put in his rig for a bit to test? Doesn't have to be a good one.

Is there another GPU that could be put in his rig for a bit to test? Doesn't have to be a good one.

Yes, but since it happens at completely random moments with no pattern it might be hard to repeat it. I will try, however. I'll run furmark for now a few times and see what comes of that.

2 minutes ago, Phoenix721 said:

Honestly it sounds more like his motherboard. I'd still test everything else though.

Honestly it sounds more like his motherboard.

I just hope it isn't my graphics card since I didn't buy it from my country and RMAing back to that store will be a bitch.

4 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

Honestly it sounds more like his motherboard. I'd still test everything else though.

What do you mean? Also, he did think his motherboard was his initial problem with the RAM, he tried to RMA it but the company said that there was nothing wrong with it.

1 hour ago, Phoenix721 said:

What do you mean? Also, he did think his motherboard was his initial problem with the RAM, he tried to RMA it but the company said that there was nothing wrong with it.

They aren't always thorough and usually just accept error codes from their diagnostic as proof one way or the other. The mobo is the primary device that they share.

11 minutes ago, JoeyDM said:

They aren't always thorough and usually just accept error codes from their diagnostic as proof one way or the other. The mobo is the primary device that they share.

On a side note, I run furmark for ~30 minutes and the GPU didn't crash... That's a good sign, right?