RX 480 Custom cooler problems

So I have decided to mount a traditional tower heatsink to my rx 480 with zipties and it all seemed okay at first. The idle temps are around 30C but this is where I'm kinda stumped. When I started DOOM to test the load temps, it started out okay at 62C and as the temps started to rise the core clock was throttling to as low as 500mhz. The game fps would dip up and down from high to low very rapidly. I have a hunch that wattman is confused about the stock fan being unplugged, so it is throttling the card. (P.S I updated the drivers)

:D

Just now, black0utm1rage said:

Sounds like a bad mount to me... Why are you using a tower heatsink anyways?

The stock cooler/ fan is loud as fuck and it's what I had lying around. I have the zip ties as tight as they will go and I even have a piece of foam under the cooler to support it.

8 minutes ago, TooSchoolForCool said:

The stock cooler/ fan is loud as fuck and it's what I had lying around. I have the zip ties as tight as they will go and I even have a piece of foam under the cooler to support it.

Well then you've got a problem, because a bad mount is basically the only source of error here. You could test the resistance the fan is providing and then bridge the fan header with a coresponding serial resistor if you think not having a fan plugged in is confsing the card. But thats really really unlikely. Tightening the zips as tight as they will go is not the way to go. This way you might break the chip or squish out the thermalpaste. Also the whole idea of mounting a tower cooler isn't exactly good.

what about cooling the VRM do you have any airflow going over them? could be they are getting too hot and effecting the power delivery which in term could make the card throttle

GPU drivers giving you a hard time? Try this! (DDU)

16 minutes ago, LukaH said:

what about cooling the VRM do you have any airflow going over them? could be they are getting too hot and effecting the power delivery which in term could make the card throttle

I have a 2000rpm NF-F12 on the card right now to eliminate that factor.

Edited by TooSchoolForCool
2000 not 20000