Fan Controller contected to extenal Power Supply

j5-wyatt

Would connect a 12V power supply to link controller (for building a cooling dock for my docking station)  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Would you do this?

• Yes
    • No

I use a laptop with docking station & have all my cables in a box, which I have noticed is getting very warm to the point that PAT stickers are melting off :(

My plan to build a Wooden box with cable brush & fans, Would it be safe (at my own risk) to take This Fan Speed Controller & connect the black & yellow wires to a 12V power adapter, if so what ampage would you recommend.

10 minutes ago, j5-wyatt said:

I use a laptop with docking station & have all my cables in a box, which I have noticed is getting very warm to the point that PAT stickers are melting off :(

My plan to build a Wooden box with cable brush & fans, Would it be safe (at my own risk) to take This Fan Speed Controller & connect the black & yellow wires to a 12V power adapter, if so what ampage would you recommend.

Linus once did a tech under $100 video where he had a laptop type PSU that ended in a Molex. The would probably be a safer option.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

As long as you solder and wrap every connection it would be fine but if you have to buy a power supply you might as well get one with a molex connector.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGG6SC/ref=pd_sim_23_2?ie=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B000MGG6SC&pd_rd_r=6EJP5HXKCD70QKEZQSM0&pd_rd_w=XSTXx&pd_rd_wg=aQTo6&psc=1&refRID=6EJP5HXKCD70QKEZQSM0

Thanks - Didnt even cross my mind that  Mains Power to molex would exist ! ?