Seeking approval: "budget" mid-high end gaming PC

Go to solution Solved by Thorimus,

Looks like a great build, GTX1060 6GB is better than 3gig, and I'd go for a 250GB SSD if you can. There are cheaper same-quality PSUs out there too, like EVGA's GS and G2 series. RM650 is amazing though.

I too, probably like most new members, come seeking approval of a build.

I'm in US, and I plan on using this for mid-to-high level gaming with newer AAA titles, and potentially VR down the line.

I mostly have the setup nailed down but with a few blanks I'd appreciate input on.

• Intel i5 6600K
  • ASUS Z170-A motherboard
  • Corsair RM650X
  • 16 GB of probably Kingston hyperx Fury RAM
  • Storage: I am looking for an affordable and hopefully good-looking 120GB SSD. Probably again Kingston (Savage maybe)
  • GPU: Right now the GTX 1060 is looking like the best option for what I aim to do, and the ASUS 3GB dual-fan aftermarket card is what I'm planning on getting.

As far as the GPU goes, I was just wondering if the extra 3GB of VRAM is worth the $60 price bump on Amazon. (And Newegg's price is higher.) The case will be a corsair SPEC case alpha, going for a red/white theme. Also if there's anything else you feel I need to know I'd appreciate it. Thanks

1 minute ago, Emm See Ride said:

I too, probably like most new members, come seeking approval of a build.

I'm in US, and I plan on using this for mid-to-high level gaming with newer AAA titles, and potentially VR down the line.

I mostly have the setup nailed down but with a few blanks I'd appreciate input on.

• Intel i5 6600K
  • ASUS Z170-A motherboard
  • Corsair RM650X
  • 16 GB of probably Kingston hyperx Fury RAM
  • Storage: I am looking for an affordable and hopefully good-looking 120GB SSD. Probably again Kingston (Savage maybe)
  • GPU: Right now the GTX 1060 is looking like the best option for what I aim to do, and the ASUS 3GB dual-fan aftermarket card is what I'm planning on getting.

As far as the GPU goes, I was just wondering if the extra 3GB of VRAM is worth the $60 price bump on Amazon. (And Newegg's price is higher.) The case will be a corsair SPEC case alpha, going for a red/white theme. Also if there's anything else you feel I need to know I'd appreciate it. Thanks

What is your budget?

Just now, Unexas. said:

What is your budget?

Sorry, should have included. Looking like 800USD range.

Looks like a great build, GTX1060 6GB is better than 3gig, and I'd go for a 250GB SSD if you can. There are cheaper same-quality PSUs out there too, like EVGA's GS and G2 series. RM650 is amazing though.

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

2 minutes ago, Emm See Ride said:

Yeah, it's not just the 3GB VRAM for the extra price, the 1060 6GB card has more CUDA cores enabled. The 1060 3GB is more like a 1050 Ti (If there was one) to be honest.

It looks pretty solid, but I would try to get as high speed of RAM as you can, usually Gskill has 3000Mhz RAM for not much more.

The extra 3 GB or vram on the 1060 will be worth every penny. Many cards now have 4 GB, like the GTX970. Many games use all or most of the four gigs the card has already. Get the 6 gig model, you will be much happier.

2 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ckLqd6 

Here is one with the 6GB version instead of the 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231937

Well, the sale ends in 7 days though...

Everything else looks really good. I have that same Gigabyte 1060 in my brother's PC. It runs really quiet.

3 minutes ago, Unexas. said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ckLqd6 

Here is one with the 6GB version instead of the 3

The build he already has planned can OC, which is a massive boost over a stock 6500

“sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic still going to require driver rollbacks when it stops working for no reason“

Also whilst I'm here I may as well recommend a good budget cooler, the Cryorig M9i. It's like the 212 EVO but quieter and looks like something Batman would put in a PC (i.e. AWESOME)

7 minutes ago, Marauder said:

Many cards now have 4 GB, like the GTX970.

giphy.gif

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Sorry but I would rather get aesthetic over performance

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($196.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Deskstar 7K2000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING X Video Card  ($289.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $799.83
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 14:52 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231937

Well, the sale ends in 7 days though...

Everything else looks really good. I have that same Gigabyte 1060 in my brother's PC. It runs really quiet.

Now I'm at the point of just being greedy and getting the ASUS one for the shroud color to match. I might just wait a few more weeks and get it anyway.

1 minute ago, Thorimus said:

Also whilst I'm here I may as well recommend a good budget cooler, the Cryorig M9i. It's like the 212 EVO but quieter and looks like something Batman would put in a PC (i.e. AWESOME)

I was actually planning on using Corsair's 240mm water cooler, on the basis that I want my case cleaner. Not sure if it really helps, though. I have two computers laying around my house that look like tech gore because of all the dust.

If you can go more than 800 a bit and don't care how ugly your build is

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($227.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Redline 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($65.89 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card  ($249.99 @ B&H)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $821.31
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-13 14:58 EDT-0400

2 minutes ago, Emm See Ride said:

Now I'm at the point of just being greedy and getting the ASUS one for the shroud color to match. I might just wait a few more weeks and get it anyway.

I was actually planning on using Corsair's 240mm water cooler, on the basis that I want my case cleaner. Not sure if it really helps, though. I have two computers laying around my house that look like tech gore because of all the dust.

Well, my hope is for you get both a 1060 6GB and a 6600K with a Z series motherboard, but it depends if your budget can survive that.

My cousin has the H110i GTX, it does reduce the dust a bit, but not by much. It really depends on what fans / rpm you run the fans at. Usually though, dust will find a way in no matter what.

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Well, my hope is for you get both a 1060 6GB and a 6600K with a Z series motherboard, but it depends if your budget can survive that.

My cousin has the H110i GTX, it does reduce the dust a bit, but not by much. It really depends on what fans / rpm you run the fans at. Usually though, dust will find a way in no matter what.

It's better to get an i7-6700 and a H170/B150/H110 board. The cost is the same as 6600K+Z170+ a good cooler and he gets a faster CPU.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

4 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

The SPEC case alpha supposedly has dust filters, but Amazon reviews say they aren't the best. 

And a general question, are X99 boards the same as boards that support the LGA 1151 socket? They seem to be used interchangeably.

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It's better to get an i7-6700 and a H170/B150/H110 board. The cost is the same as 6600K+Z170+ a good cooler and he gets a faster CPU.

To be completely honest I don't need that many cores and OCing a 6600K to 4(+) GHz is fast enough for me. I could also upgrade to an i7 if I did need it later. A big factor for this computer is that I can actually upgrade it.

Im only building this from scratch because it's more cost effective than replacing the board, PSU, CPU, and GPU of my current PC, which doesn't even have quad-channel RAM, let alone pcie slots.

Just now, Emm See Ride said:

The SPEC case alpha supposedly has dust filters, but Amazon reviews say they aren't the best. 

And a general question, are X99 boards the same as boards that support the LGA 1151 socket? They seem to be used interchangeably.

To be completely honest I don't need that many cores and OCing a 6600K to 4(+) GHz is fast enough for me. I could also upgrade to an i7 if I did need it later. A big factor for this computer is that I can actually upgrade it.

Im only building this from scratch because it's more cost effective than replacing the board, PSU, CPU, and GPU of my current PC, which doesn't even have quad-channel RAM, let alone pcie slots.

No, X99 boards are Socket 2011 only. They are not interchangeable.

Well, the 6600K and the 6700 are both quad core CPUs...the 6700 just has hyperthreading / faster stock clock speed. I'd go for the 6600K...but I like to overclock so that's personal bias.