shulod i get a new pc or update my pc

coolt5

I'm with the majority on this one. The Sandy Bridge is still a very capable platform if you're using it for everyday use and gaming. Grab a new gpu and a 240gb or 500gb SSD to use for boot and to keep frequently used applications then a nice air cooler like the NH-D15 or one of the 140mm aios and push a decent overclock. From there if you're not happy with the performance you're seeing you have a couple new parts to throw in your new rig. 

Honestly, I've been messing around with an old X58 system the last few days running an i7-920 and W3520 at 4.2Ghz under water with a gtx 970 and in about 75% of the games I've bench marked there is maybe a 1-5% difference in framerate compared to my X99 rig running a 5930k at 4.4Ghz.

But depending on what you want to play and if they're more cpu or gpu intensive will be the real deciding factor. For example in Battlefront the X99 system averaged 93.5 fps while the x58 system averaged 94.5 fps. Then on the other side Fallout 4 averaged 99 fps on the X99 and 72 fps on the x58

That being said Fallout 4 is definitely in the minority. I also ran BF4, Crysis 3, Metro LL, and a few others which were all within 1-5% performance difference which I couldn't justify building a new rig around. 

I hope all this rambling helped. Good luck with your decision.

Cheers

Current gaming build: Link to PcPartPicker

FlightSim X is pretty tame.  Now P3D, I hear, is a crazily multi-threaded resource hog for which you might want to seek out those dual 8-core CPU machines that people can hack together for $500-$600 in parts (+ RAM and a case that takes the E-ATX boards).