Upgrade help?

MrStan88
4 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

This is if you went with an i7 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£290.28 @ Aria PC) 
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  (£32.49 @ Ebuyer) 
Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£127.43 @ Amazon UK) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  (£66.92 @ More Computers) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£60.98 @ Novatech) 
Total: £578.10
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-03 16:21 BST+0100

i would get the i7 since you can afford it 

I thing this would serve you better than a regular HDD, it'll bring you cost up to 599 pounds

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-ST2000DX001-Desktop-Internal-Hybrid/dp/B00EIQTKAS/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1475508345&sr=8-2&keywords=seagate+sshd

1 minute ago, MrStan88 said:

How in the world did you manage to get an i7 in with that? I thought that was way out of my price range. Would i7's really give much of a gain for that extra price over an i5? 

What exactly is kaby lake supposed to bring thats new?

Can someone make this into a new post? I don't think anyone know what's different with Kaby Lake

If it fits your case you can save money over the Noctua cooler by taking a Scythe Fuma: similar performance for a way better price. Cooler height is almost 160mm.

And as suggested already go for a new CPU with mobo over the GPU. A good base to work from can last longer and as you found out take a unlocked CPU. This can be really a big money saver over the long run if you take like 6600K or 6700K that can also be OCed down the road even if you normally don't OC. If your GPU has played well enough so far, you can mange until you have saved up for something like a 1070.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

1 minute ago, Gonio said:

If it fits your case you can save money over the Noctua cooler by taking a Scythe Fuma: similar performance for a way better price. Cooler height is almost 160mm.

And as suggested already go for a new CPU with mobo over the GPU. A good base to work from can last longer and as you found out take a unlocked CPU. This can be really a big money saver over the long run if you take like 6600K or 6700K that can also be OCed down the road even if you normally don't OC. If your GPU has played well enough so far, you can mange until you have saved up for something like a 1070.

Dual Heatsink cooler could interfere with the RAM, I'd go with a 212 Evo, it's cheaper

4 minutes ago, MrStan88 said:

How in the world did you manage to get an i7 in with that? I thought that was way out of my price range. Would i7's really give much of a gain for that extra price over an i5? 

What exactly is kaby lake supposed to bring thats new?

6700k vs 6600k  6700k vs 3570  going the i7 route will give you 2 extra threads than the i5. i7 has a higher clock speed than the i5, granted you see its a slight performance boost, but really the extra threads come in handy and are worth it, also an i7 6700k will last you longer than an i5 6600k for the same reasons I just said when comparing the two. The kaby lake is the new CPU line of intel so who knows what it will bring performance wise, some people say it is gonna be a 10% boost from sky lake others say its gonna be better, who really knows till the release and benchmarks are posted. 

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

Need a budget headphone for under 100$? Sennheiser HD 558 Headphones

Got a Skylake CPU (k) Here is a guide to OC it!

5 minutes ago, Gonio said:

Wow, that CPU cooler is a monster. I was actually looking at the smaller noctua, the slim single tower one since I don't plan on going insane with OCing. 

4 minutes ago, xephoneration said:

6700k vs 6600k  6700k vs 3570  going the i7 route will give you 2 extra threads than the i5. i7 has a higher clock speed than the i5, granted you see its a slight performance boost, but really the extra threads come in handy and are worth it, also an i7 6700k will last you longer than an i5 6600k for the same reasons I just said when comparing the two. The kaby lake is the new CPU line of intel so who knows what it will bring performance wise, some people say it is gonna be a 10% boost from sky lake others say its gonna be better, who really knows till the release and benchmarks are posted. 

well either which way my old cpu is gonna be stomped all over the place. I'm just a bit worried kaby lake comes out and is a massive increase in performance. But then again trying to keep up with tech is pointless these days.

Kaby lake is a refresh, so don't expect huge new things. There are a few new things, but overall it will be a bit higher clocks for all models that they can deliver at same price as current Skylake. If thats worth a wait and possible performance increase is up to you.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

23 minutes ago, Alec_FC said:

I'd suggest buying a Seagate SSHD along with the rest of your items

I'd suggest you avoid SSHDs.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, MrDrWho13 said:

I'd suggest you avoid SSHDs.

Why?

3 minutes ago, MrStan88 said:

Wow, that CPU cooler is a monster. I was actually looking at the smaller noctua, the slim single tower one since I don't plan on going insane with OCing. 

well either which way my old cpu is gonna be stomped all over the place. I'm just a bit worried kaby lake comes out and is a massive increase in performance. But then again trying to keep up with tech is pointless these days.

dont be too worried. Gonio is correct in saying kaby is going to be a refresh. like i said 10% its really not a lot, a sandy bridge i7 is still a good cpu, and the 4970k and the 6700k are neck and neck in terms of performance. 

CPU-i7 6700k O.C. 4.6Ghz-Motherboard-Asus z170-a-RAM-24gb DDR4-GPU-EVGA GTX 1080 FE-Case-Corsair 400c (white)-Storage-HDD: 2xWD Blue 1TB SSD: PNY SSDSC120GLC709B121-510 120GB-PSU-1000 watt coolermax-Display-ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 1080p 144 Hz -Cooling-Corsair H115i-Keyboard-G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX blues (Red backlight)-Mouse-Logitech G602-Sound-Logitech 5.1 z506

1 minute ago, Alec_FC said:

Why?

They're quite a bit more expensive than a normal HDD, and have barely any flash storage inside. Better to buy a normal HDD and small SSD for most applications. Since this user has an SSD already, I'd suggest getting a HDD unless the SSD is getting old.

I edit my posts a lot.

1 minute ago, xephoneration said:

dont be too worried. Gonio is correct in saying kaby is going to be a refresh. like i said 10% its really not a lot, a sandy bridge i7 is still a good cpu, and the 4970k and the 6700k are neck and neck in terms of performance. 

Fair enough, that makes my decision much easier. One other thing, I have no idea if my PSU is going to be ok for overclocking. Its an OCZ  ZT-series modular 650w. Am I going to need a better one for OCing my cpu?

4 minutes ago, MrDrWho13 said:

They're quite a bit more expensive than a normal HDD, and have barely any flash storage inside. Better to buy a normal HDD and small SSD for most applications. Since this user has an SSD already, I'd suggest getting a HDD unless the SSD is getting old.

Agreed, its really pointless to have a SSHD if you already have a SSD, even than a 500gb SSD would be a lot better IMO than a 2tb SSHD because it is way faster... But for sheer storage a regular 1-3tb HDD is very fine due to the low cost compared to a SSHD

Just now, MrStan88 said:

Fair enough, that makes my decision much easier. One other thing, I have no idea if my PSU is going to be ok for overclocking. Its an OCZ  ZT-series modular 650w. Am I going to need a better one for OCing my cpu?

650w is very much fine since the skylake cpu take a lot less power to run. aka more power efficient than your cpu. 

Seems to be a good price. I've decided against the i7 after looking into it because I don't think it will benefit me and my needs much for the extra price. Obviously add a little for the OS. Does it look like I'm missing anything?

pc.png

Seems good to go mon. Have fun building. But no SSD? Samsung 750 series are good budget SSD, slightly less performance then the 850, but considerable less cost.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list