Computer keeps turning itself off

Mainewha
Go to solution Solved by zanthros,

OK leave the panel disconnected and just wait....... if it does not Ghost itself off and on........ problem solved......... I would say that the "reset" button on the panel is bad.You can test this by plugging the reset wires from the panel back on to the posts that they are supposed to go on (connect ONLY the reset button) and it should (if the switch is defective) reboot or Ghost itself.

Issue: Computer keeps shutting off

Lately I have been plagued by a unknown issue where my computer would either initiate a shut-down procedure (by itself), or the power would just cut out without warning. No set period of time between system start (when it gets there), and shut-down/power loss. It should be noted that I could just sit in BIOS and the power will just cut out after a period of time.

Despite my best efforts at diagnosing this issue myself, I have more or less run into the wall and really want the squishy sounds to stop.

System Specs

Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0 (BIOS: 2501)

CPU: AMD FX-6350 6-Core (at stock 3.9 GHz)
Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU cooler

RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory (2 sets for 16GB total)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB

Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Boot drive

Western Digital Black 2TB Hard Drive (Storage)

PSU: SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold (SS-650KM Active PFC F3) 650W

Edited by Mainewha
Forgot to add component

1 minute ago, Rex5150 said:

is your cpu fan running? maybe cpu is over heating

Highest I saw it get was 40C, but that's not the case here.

Have you tried Malware Bytes? They have a free trial that's pretty good. (Detected 12 Trojans on my mom's computer.)

i5-8600K -  Asus Strix Z370E - Asus GTX 1060 Strix - EVGA 650W P2 - Samsung 970 Pro 500GB - G.Skill TridentZ 16GB

are any of the capacitors swollen on the mother board 

No, and in my case I actually swapped out boards to see if it was that component, no dice.

8 minutes ago, SageOfSpice said:

Have you tried another wall outlet?

No change

6 minutes ago, I_IHaveNoLife_l said:

Have you tried Malware Bytes? They have a free trial that's pretty good. (Detected 12 Trojans on my mom's computer.)

Did a complete wipe and reinstall on both drives, no dice.

could either be a bad psu or bad ram. i had literally the same problem for months only to find out yesterday that it was due to my ram being pretty much doa

edit: i suggest running memtest or running windows memory diagnostic to see if its the ram (run memtest over like 24hrs)

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

have a spare power supply to try that?

The seasonic I installed today to try exactly that, no dice.

2 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

could either be a bad psu or bad ram. i had literally the same problem for months only to find out yesterday that it was due to my ram being pretty much doa

Would it be bad if it was still being detected? I should note that the RAM is the only old part left, everything else got changed out in my attempts to figure this out.

1 minute ago, Mainewha said:

Would it be bad if it was still being detected? I should note that the RAM is the only old part left, everything else got changed out in my attempts to figure this out.

run memtest over the weekend if you have a spare pc. the longer memtest runs the more accurate the results are

bregsit

Spoiler

PC specs: i7 4770s, Zotac GTX 1070 Mini, 16GB DDR3L 1600MHz (2x8GB, cheap Crucial RAM), Crucial BX500 480GB , 2x WD Blue 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, Windows 7

Laptop Specs: i5 5350U, Intel HD something, 8GB (probably DDR3 idk), 128GB Samsung(?) SSD, MacOS whatever the newest one is

5 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

run memtest over the weekend if you have a spare pc. the longer memtest runs the more accurate the results are

Would you mind elaborating please?

Would you mind elaborating please?

memtest tests your memory (hence the name) the longer you run it, the more accurate the results are.

bregsit

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

memtest tests your memory (hence the name) the longer you run it, the more accurate the results are.

I cannot say I am familiar with it, but are you saying that you think the memory is forcing my comp to shut off or cut out altogether?

Just now, Mainewha said:

I cannot say I am familiar with it, but are you saying that you think the memory is forcing my comp to shut off or cut out altogether?

yep, mine did exactly the same. i thought my psu was dying but it ended up being my ram.

bregsit

Spoiler

Just now, imPixelTV said:

yep, mine did exactly the same. i thought my psu was dying but it ended up being my ram.

Considering every OTHER part has been changed out up to this point, it might make more sense to replace the ram outright

Just now, Mainewha said:

Considering every OTHER part has been changed out up to this point, it might make more sense to replace the ram outright

i can almost guarantee that your ram is dying.

bregsit

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

i can almost guarantee that your ram is dying.

Ah ponyfeathers, I liked that ram, had it since 2012

Just now, Mainewha said:

Ah ponyfeathers, I liked that ram, had it since 2012

you might be able to rma it. crucial has a 10 year warranty but idk about gskill

bregsit

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, imPixelTV said:

you might be able to rma it. crucial has a 10 year warranty but idk about gskill

NOTE: I will keep this open till the replacements arrive and see how they work out.

NOTE: I will keep this open till the replacements arrive and see how they work out.

try and rma it lol

bregsit

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

So the replacement sticks arrived this morning, put them in, checked that it was detected in the BIOS (I got sticks that are on the QVL list just to ensure there's no conflict on this one), booted into Windows, and within 3 minutes it shut itself down once again. A subsequent boot saw the computer shutting itself off within a minute of reaching the desktop.

Any ideas guys? Because I have run out.

3 hours ago, Mainewha said:

So the replacement sticks arrived this morning, put them in, checked that it was detected in the BIOS (I got sticks that are on the QVL list just to ensure there's no conflict on this one), booted into Windows, and within 3 minutes it shut itself down once again. A subsequent boot saw the computer shutting itself off within a minute of reaching the desktop.

Any ideas guys? Because I have run out.

has literally EVERYTHING been replaced

bregsit

Spoiler