Amp possibly overheating?

Go to solution Solved by rmurad38,

You are probably simply pushing that amp beyond its abilities. That theater Logic L6 system is, well lets just say pretty low end. It claims to offer 500W but that power is divided up between the 5 channels and the subwoofer. That 500W rating is also probably a peak number so in all actuality it may have between 1/3 to 1/2 of that honestly.

Nothing wrong with continuing to use it, just turn it down a bit. At least you didn't pay a bunch of money for it, cant argue with free.

You would be better served by a small, lower wattage (say 50-75w/ch) 2 channel stereo receiver from a reputable brand.

Hey guys,

I was listening to Excision's new 2016 Shambhala Mix on my custom living room setup (I live in a dorm so space is limited) and I noticed something with the quality of the sound... I know some of Excision's music is hard hitting on some sound systems but this seems different. The mix sounds sort of "scratchy" or distorted when playing at higher volumes.

My setup is 2 Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers and the subwoofer/amp is part of a Theater Logic Home Cinema L6 I found out of my neighbors garage (he kept it for 10 years without even opening the box so technically you could call it brand new).

Here's the tricky part... I have NO IDEA what the specs are of the amp (no idea on impedance, wattage, etc. I've looked everywhere online for a manual) So I'm wondering if it's possible the amp has too much or too little resistance for the speakers to handle. Anyone have any ideas?

Want to build yourself a NAS? Check here!

I know that sound systems from 10+ years ago tend to be lower in total power output compared to today's amps. Those speakers are 100W (please don't butcher me for only referencing the power) each so it is very possible the load is too much for the amp.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

22 minutes ago, Blucyrik said:

Hey guys,

I was listening to Excision's new 2016 Shambhala Mix on my custom living room setup (I live in a dorm so space is limited) and I noticed something with the quality of the sound... I know some of Excision's music is hard hitting on some sound systems but this seems different. The mix sounds sort of "scratchy" or distorted when playing at higher volumes.

My setup is 2 Infinity Primus 150 bookshelf speakers and the subwoofer/amp is part of a Theater Logic Home Cinema L6 I found out of my neighbors garage (he kept it for 10 years without even opening the box so technically you could call it brand new).

Here's the tricky part... I have NO IDEA what the specs are of the amp (no idea on impedance, wattage, etc. I've looked everywhere online for a manual) So I'm wondering if it's possible the amp has too much or too little resistance for the speakers to handle. Anyone have any ideas?

I would just replace the amp, that is a "White Van Speaker Scam" amplifer. It is a vey low quality unit. Those speakers would be fine with something that can put out around 20 watts or more.

`

You are probably simply pushing that amp beyond its abilities. That theater Logic L6 system is, well lets just say pretty low end. It claims to offer 500W but that power is divided up between the 5 channels and the subwoofer. That 500W rating is also probably a peak number so in all actuality it may have between 1/3 to 1/2 of that honestly.

Nothing wrong with continuing to use it, just turn it down a bit. At least you didn't pay a bunch of money for it, cant argue with free.

You would be better served by a small, lower wattage (say 50-75w/ch) 2 channel stereo receiver from a reputable brand.

rmurad38

i7 6700k | 32GB Kingston HyperX DDR4 | ASUS Z170I Pro Gaming | Zotac GTX1070 FE | Samsung 950 Pro 256MB M.2 SSD | SanDisk X400 1TB SSD | Noctua NH-U9S Cooler | EVGA Hadron Air