First Comp Build | Any Tips?

uzi

Hey guys, I'm making my first ever PC and here's what I'm working with so far. If you guys have any suggestions at all please let me know. I wanna keep it under $700 though!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($198.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($53.88 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($38.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.49 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card  ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 88R MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($45.99 @ Amazon) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($37.01 @ Amazon) 
Total: $662.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-09-11 03:09 EDT-0400

Get a better power supply. The Corsair CX450M or CX550M, XFX TS 550W and the Seasonic S12II 520 are all good choices.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Get a better power supply. The Corsair CX450M or CX550M, XFX TS 550W and the Seasonic S12II 520 are all good choices.

nah, i think it's fine...

I'm curious, what makes the current one so bad?

Just now, lolimpol said:

nah, i think it's fine...

It's not. It's the 500W White which is not a good power supply at all... JG placed it at Tier 7 in his PSU tier list (with the lowest being Tier 9).

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

It's not. It's the 500W White which is not a good power supply at all... JG placed it at Tier 7 in his PSU tier list (with the lowest being Tier 9).

ok if you say so, then just use a cx600 then

5 minutes ago, uzi said:

Low quality internal components (as evident in its low price + three year warranty) is the main reason. If you're looking for longevity, this is not the power supply to get.

2 minutes ago, lolimpol said:

ok if you say so, then just use a cx600 then

That's not much of an improvement at all...

Spoiler

Just now, HKZeroFive said:

Loew quality internal components (as evident in its low price + three year warranty) is the main reason. If you're looking for longevity, this is not the power supply to get.

That's not much of an improvement at all...

i have never had a problem with mine...

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

6 minutes ago, uzi said:

Low quality internal components (as evident in its low price + three year warranty) is the main reason. If you're looking for longevity, this is not the power supply to get.

I'll just stick with the Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze then.

1 minute ago, lolimpol said:

i have never had a problem with mine...

'I've never had a problem with mine and therefore it must be good' argument doesn't mean it's good. I had a guy who tried to use that argument with me on his low-quality Raidmax unit and needless to say, it didn't go well.

Spoiler

Just now, uzi said:

I'll just stick with the Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze then.

Good choice.

Spoiler

You could also start off with a 240gb SSD(see parametric selection for other options) and buy the 1TB hdd later. It's better than buying the SSD second and having to reinstall your OS all over again.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud

10 hours ago, antisleep said:

You could also start off with a 240gb SSD(see parametric selection for other options) and buy the 1TB hdd later. It's better than buying the SSD second and having to reinstall your OS all over again.

Well here's the issue I see in the future. I'm gonna be playing games often on the PC, but new games are coming out monthly and their file sizes are bigger and bigger. I don't wanna have to sit and juggle games around to play them, I would much rather just have them all at once and play at my leisure. 

See what I mean? So I feel with the 1TB drive, I will be able to have PLENTY of space. Even though the slower speeds are present it doesn't bother me to wait a little bit longer to load something.

2 minutes ago, uzi said:

Well here's the issue I see in the future. I'm gonna be playing games often on the PC, but new games are coming out monthly and their file sizes are bigger and bigger. I don't wanna have to sit and juggle games around to play them, I would much rather just have them all at once and play at my leisure. 

See what I mean? So I feel with the 1TB drive, I will be able to have PLENTY of space. Even though the slower speeds are present it doesn't bother me to wait a little bit longer to load something.

I assumed it won't take long too long to add in a 1TB hdd - it's $50. If that's not the case then nevermind.

You're clearly not going to fit all your games in the SSD, just the ones that matter. Like multiplayer games, where shorter loading times can prove to be very useful.

• Quote people's post else they won't know you replied.

Crapware | 4670k | Hyper212X | GSkill RipjawsX 16GB | Sapphire R9 280x VaporX | 840EVO 120GB | 1TB BLACK + BLUE

Logitech G102 | Corsair K70 MX Brown | HyperX Cloud