Setting up a router to replace PS4s WiFi

nspaziani18

So I have a D-Link router and I wish to connect it to my PS4 wired, and then to my router through wireless. I have done this with an older router but it had a setup utility for it. I had to connect to my existing WiFi so it was pre-configured for the PS4

4 minutes ago, nspaziani18 said:

So I have a D-Link router and I wish to connect it to my PS4 wired, and then to my router through wireless. I have done this with an older router but it had a setup utility for it. I had to connect to my existing WiFi so it was pre-configured for the PS4

Are you wanting a network bridge or a repeater function?

DD-WRT has some good firmware for this sort of thing if you have a compatible model.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

I flashed an old buffalo G router into a bridge and set it up so my grandparents can use my parents wifi from a cross the road.

Been working good for 3+ years now.

I am a paid professional, but only when I am at work...and getting paid.

I think I'm trying to make a repeater function, I'm using the router to replace the PS4s built in WiFi

3 minutes ago, nspaziani18 said:

I think I'm trying to make a repeater function, I'm using the router to replace the PS4s built in WiFi

Okay, then you will need a router with that ability already or the a bility to be flashed to have it, what model/rev. do you have?

Well on the top of the back it says DIR-655 but I'm not sure if that's the model #

4 minutes ago, nspaziani18 said:

It looks identical!

I don't think it can do what you want it to with out being hard wired...doesn't have the right hardware for a bridge / wireless repeater setup. Only basic AP functions. But personally I've found my ps4 wifi to be good enough at about 40 feet or so from the router with some walls in between. Can you move the main AP closer?

I live upstairs and the main AP is on the main floor. Thank you for taking the time out of your day, I'll have to find another use for this thing then. Problem solved then