Installing window 10

Hi 

I have just bought window 10 operating system to put on my computer  and I would like to know how to install it safely. Currently my computer I have a not genuine window 7 operating system do I need to backup all my programs and how do I do so. I have one terabyte portable hardrive that could use but I would prefer not to. Thanks for help you may give me. 

What I would do, because I like clean things, is grab all your documents that you need, put 'em on your portable hdd, and wipe the drive. fresh install windows 10 and reinstall all programs, and put the docs back. Nice and clean.

24 minutes ago, InsertName said:

grab all your documents that you need, put 'em on your portable hdd, and wipe the drive. fresh install windows 10 and reinstall all programs, and put the docs back.

There is nothing more satisfying than a fresh slate/ clean installation to make your PC seem brand new again. Good luck with the transition to Windows 10, I was very hesitant at first but now all my machines are running 10.

39 minutes ago, NinJake said:

There is nothing more satisfying than a fresh slate/ clean installation to make your PC seem brand new again. Good luck with the transition to Windows 10, I was very hesitant at first but now all my machines are running 10.

Yay, I said something right!