Budget Gaming PC

alanp1995
Go to solution Solved by comicsansms,

Go with the HP, it has a haswell Xeon so it is a lot newer.

The PSU will also be fairly good, I don't know what it is, but it is probably a delta unit.

So I'm on a €400 budget for a used PC. I am currently stuck between the two computers which I have linked below.

PC 1 (€280) - https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/hp-z230-mini-tower-workstation-intel-xeon-e3-1225-v3-3-2ghz-8gb-ram-ddr3-ecc-1000gb-hdd-dvd-writer-intel-hd-p4600-windows-10-pro-64-bit/11098293 - Comes with a 400W Power Supply (Brand I don't know)

PC 2 (€260) - https://www.adverts.ie/desktops/x8-core-gaming-cad-audio-dell-workstation/11084442 - Comes with a 875W DELL H875E-00

I already have a MSI GTX 760 Twin Frozr in my house so I will just be putting that into whichever build I get. So whichever build you think would be better performance for the money, please let me know! I just can't find any benchmarks for the Dual E5420's around so hoping someone here could know something :)

Thanks for your time! (Underneath you will find what I do on computer)

Bigger Programs: (Besides Chrome, Spotify etc.)

Photoshop - Nothing serious, some basic editing for college

Programming - Nothing serious, Java, HTML and Python

Sony Vegas - Basic Edit's, won't ever be a 4K render or anything of the sort

Games:

Counter Strike: Global Offensive - Run at 1024x768 resolution, all low settings

Overwatch - Run at 1920x1080 resolution, all low settings

Team Fortress 2 - 1920x1080 resolution, all low settings

I'd get the second PC. It's newer and allows for upgrades in the future. The first PC might have an advantage now, but it is not really upgradeable anymore if you need more power.

i7 6700k - 32GB DDR4-2133 - GTX 980

10 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

I'd get the second PC. It's newer and allows for upgrades in the future. The first PC might have an advantage now, but it is not really upgradeable anymore if you need more power.

I think you are confusing the pcs. The first pc is a 4 core haswell xeon with 4 threads while the second has two old socket 771 xeons (which are basically core 2 quads). 
Performance between the two are actually pretty similar : https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E5440+%40+2.83GHz&id=1235&cpuCount=2
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Xeon+E3-1225+v3+%40+3.20GHz
But I would personally go with the first pc with the xeon e3 1225 since it has newer architecture and also because in the future you can decide to upgrade to an i7 which has 8 threads instead of the xeon e3 1225's 4.

Go with the HP, it has a haswell Xeon so it is a lot newer.

The PSU will also be fairly good, I don't know what it is, but it is probably a delta unit.

31 minutes ago, david cassar said:

I think you are confusing the pcs. The first pc is a 4 core haswell xeon with 4 threads while the second has two old socket 771 xeons (which are basically core 2 quads). 
Performance between the two are actually pretty similar

That's exactly what I said. The first PC has 24GB of RAM which migh tgive it an advantage over the 8 gigs of the second one. But the second PC has a much newer architecture and a newer socket which is an advantage in the future. 

760 as well brother :) still running strong !

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

2 minutes ago, Lolucoca said:

That's exactly what I said. The first PC has 24GB of RAM which migh tgive it an advantage over the 8 gigs of the second one. But the second PC has a much newer architecture and a newer socket which is an advantage in the future. 

Yeah you're confusing them fam. Pc 1 has the haswell cpu while pc 2 has the 24gb ram :P 

49 minutes ago, david cassar said:

Yeah you're confusing them fam. Pc 1 has the haswell cpu while pc 2 has the 24gb ram :P 

Yeah! If the haswell CPU and the two 771 CPUs perform almost the same, the 2nd PC has the advantage by having 24GB of ram :P

22 hours ago, Thony said:

760 as well brother :) still running strong !

What's your thoughts on the FinalMouse? I see it listed in your specs.

30 minutes ago, alanp1995 said:

What's your thoughts on the FinalMouse? I see it listed in your specs.

Much better than G502 in terms of personal feel. Its so light im in love with it, shape is good only problem is wheel,its sensitive and I happen to press it a lot accidentaly. If G502 was 20-30g lighter I would keep that one. Im low sensitiity player so I lift my mouse a lot.

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

3 hours ago, Thony said:

Much better than G502 in terms of personal feel. Its so light im in love with it, shape is good only problem is wheel,its sensitive and I happen to press it a lot accidentaly. If G502 was 20-30g lighter I would keep that one. Im low sensitiity player so I lift my mouse a lot.

I'm a low sensitivity player also and lift a lot too so I was looking at the Logitech Series but then saw you had the FinalMouse. Thanks for your input, will take it into consideration! Might end up buying the two from Amazon and returning which one I don't prefer. Thanks again :)

50 minutes ago, alanp1995 said:

I'm a low sensitivity player also and lift a lot too so I was looking at the Logitech Series but then saw you had the FinalMouse. Thanks for your input, will take it into consideration! Might end up buying the two from Amazon and returning which one I don't prefer. Thanks again :)

Thats the best way to do it honestly. The problem with the wheel i mentioned is not about pressint it but spinning it. Just to be clear.