Screen Tearing Problems...

After I purchased my R9 380 about a year ago I have been getting worse and worse screen tearing issues and now its to the point where it unacceptable. The thing is I have a 144 hz monitor so I'm not sure whats causing it. Is the GPU defective? Are AMD's drivers getting even worse? Is my monitor shot? And would upgrading to a GTX 1060 with V-sync solve the problem? It happens with just about any game I have, from Half Life 2 to Fallout 4. Any answers on forums to this besides "You need a 144 hz monitor" are quite flakey and I need know whats actually happening before I go buy a $300 GPU or possibly a new monitor (I've done everything I can to get the drivers working as well as they are able to).

what monitor do you have?  does it support Freesync?

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

What?

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

21 minutes ago, CostcoSamples said:

what monitor do you have?  does it support Freesync?

I have an Asus Vg248QE, and it doesn't support Freesync...

What I need to know is if I need a new monitor or a new GPU

1 minute ago, Stale Memes said:

I have an Asus Vg248QE, and it doesn't support Freesync...

What I need to know is if I need a new monitor or a new GPU

Screen tearing occurs when the video feed to the device is not in sync with the display's refresh rate. Not the gpu or monitor. V-Sync seems to solve it.

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

I have

Just now, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Screen tearing occurs when the video feed to the device is not in sync with the display's refresh rate. Not the gpu or monitor. V-Sync seems to solve it.

I have an AMD card, it doesn't have V-sync...

Just now, Stale Memes said:

I have

I have an AMD card, it doesn't have V-sync...

Open the amd vision engine control center, click the gaming tab along the left side, click 3d application settings and scroll down until you see the words "wait for vertical refresh".

| CPU: Core i7-4790K  |  Motherboard:  MSI Gaming Z97 GAMING 5 LGA 1150  |  CPU Cooler:  NZXT Kraken X61 |
| GPU: Single 8GB EVGA GTX 1070 FTW |  RAMCorsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz |  CaseCorsair 330R Titanium Edition

1 minute ago, Vengeance_K1ng said:

Open the amd vision engine control center, click the gaming tab along the left side, click 3d application settings and scroll down until you see the words "wait for vertical refresh".

I didn't think AMD had that, I'll try that for now and see if it works. I'm actually away from my house right now but I'll be back tomorrow and give it a try. Thanks.

I'm pretty sure all GPUs support v-sync.  It's a software solution to the tearing problem.  If you still get tearing with vsync enabled, you might have a monitor problem.  

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build