Dual boot windows 10 / linux.

Hello there. I want to do a dual boot setup of windows 10 / some linux distribution on my pc's SSD.

Now, my question is, i have a secondary drive, that should be accessable for BOTH operating systems (it will act as a general storage for movies, photos, games, etc. etc.). What encoding i should use for that drive?

Second question, which linux distribution would you propose for that dual boot? I'm mostly looking for safety (often updates), looks and possibly as little "preinstalled" stuff as possible.

It depends on what linux distro you use as to what format the second drive needs to be, I assume its over 32gb so I would say ntfs will work as many distros support that and its the native windows format. 

Now for the distro

Secure is one thing, whonix and kali are both security based. But that may be more than what you want. 

Ubuntu and its child Mint are both updated all the time and user friendly and great everyday systems. 

Arch however is a very bare linux that gets the bleeding edge updates and almost nothing preinstalled. But it is not user friendly to novices. 

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]