cores vs speed

I am so confused which is better when i look at the amd cpus they have like 8 cores with 4 gigahertz very overclockable so why is intel better when they cost more but have lower numbers can any1 explain this to me

2 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

I am so confused which is better when i look at the amd cpus they have like 8 cores with 4 gigahertz very overclockable so why is intel better when they cost more but have lower numbers can any1 explain this to me

Not all GHz are equal. AMD uses architecture which is not as efficient/powerful as Intel. It's a little complicated to understand if you don't have any idea how processors work, but just know that Intel performs better in general. 

CPU: i7 6700k (4.7 GHz) | GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 FTW (OC) | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z170 S | Cooling: Corsair H110i GTX | Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB WD Black | RAM: 16GB (2x8) Corsair Vengeance LED (White) 3000MHz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX | PSU: Corsair RM850i | WiFi Card: TPLink Archer T9E | Case Fans: Noctua iPPC-2000 PWM (3x 120mm in), 2x Noctua NF-A14 PWM 140mm (radiator, painted black), Fractal Venturi HP-14 (1x 140mm out)  | OS: Windows 10 Home 64-bit

Neithe is better; Just different.

General rule: Intel= better clockspeeds and performance per core. AMD= More cores, cheaper.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

And #noflamewar

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

Just now, Darkgun3396 said:

i understand cpus pretty well so can you try and explain it to me

Intels architecture and core usage is different.

if so what gaming cpu can i use for about 150 intel not including motherboard

3 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

What's better: 8 bankers working 4h a day with paper and pen (and sharing the same pen in pairs) or 4 bankers working 3h a day using excel to do their work?

The same goes for AMD and intel. AMD has more cores that work at higher frequencies; HOWEVER, they aren't as good as Intel's, unfortunately. That's why Intel usually wins.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

Just now, Darkgun3396 said:

1 intel core executes more instructions per clock and can store more instructions (cache).

1 minute ago, Darkgun3396 said:

cause i was going to go with amd

Don't be confused with raw specs.

if you are going to be doing editing, AMDs extra cores can be a gamechanger. But you don't need past a quad core for just gaming.

IPC. 

AMD has poor IPC comparative to Intel. 

basically, intel uses clockspeed more efficiently. So clockspeeds mean better.

5 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

ipc?

Basically. To compare an Intel CPU to an AMD CPU, the AMD CPU would have to be running nearly 6 GHz on the core clock while the Intel product sat at around 4 GHz, to have similar per core performance. 

14 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Neithe is better; Just different.

General rule: Intel= better clockspeeds and performance per core. AMD= More cores, cheaper.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

And #noflamewar

Not to start a flame war, but intel is objectively better than amd in terms of performance.

14 minutes ago, Darkgun3396 said:

It comes down to how many instructions each core can process each clock cycle (hz). I don't know the exact numbers, but even if intel can only process 3 more instructions per hz (not ghz) then even if amd is running 1.5ghz faster (5 ghz vs 3.5) intel will still be processing way more instructions than amd.

More cores don't help much in a lot of applications either. Until recently almost every single game used no more than four. Now there are games using more cores, but the thing is that you don't see full usage on all cores. It helps but not a huge amount, certainly not enough to make up for the lower performance per core.

Finally, in applications that use all cores to their fullest (like rendering a video, video editing), i7s and xeons (like the 1231) still out perform amd's best by a decent margin.

Also, they are very power hungry chips and require good vrms on the mobo

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB