CPU+Motherboard Upgrade Help

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
8 hours ago, Virtual_Hitman said:

So yeah, I decided to transfer everything into a new case so I can have more room for a graphics card upgrade... Will this case work? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139043&cm_re=spec-02_case-_-11-139-043-_-Product -SPEC 2

Should work just fine

Okay. Over the past year or so I've been upgrading my prebuilt desktop. Specifically the Dell Inspirion 3847. Well I wanted to break free from the limiting cage the inspirion feels like it's bestowed upon me. I wanted transfer the main parts in the computer to another motherboard and case. Since I'm not really that tech savy I wanted to know a good motherboard+case to upgrade to that will allow me to do some basic overclocking (For a Graphics card specifically) and allow me to upgrade my CPU further down the line. I'd like if possible to keep the price of the parts around $150 if possible. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 
Computer Specs:
-I5 4460 (3.2)
-GTX 750Ti Asus Strix
-8GB of DDR3 Ram
-1TB hard drive
-600w EVGA PSU (Overkill I know) 

Well i personaly dont realy see why you should upgrading your current motherboard an cpu if you are currently on a 4460 to be honnest.

I would say trow the money towards a better graphics card.

Which motherboard do you have currently?

9 minutes ago, Sintezza said:

Well i personaly dont realy see why you should upgrading your current motherboard an cpu if you are currently on a 4460 to be honnest.

I would say trow the money towards a better graphics card.

Which motherboard do you have currently?

Eh. That actually brings up another reason I wanted to transfer over to a new case... The case I'm using now limits me to a 8Inch Graphics card at most. Yeah I guess my CPU is fine but the case and motherboard is still a problem in my opinion. Also I wanted to get a new motherboard that allows me to get into overclocking and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be safe to do with the motherboard the Inspirion has right now.  

1 hour ago, Virtual_Hitman said:

Eh. That actually brings up another reason I wanted to transfer over to a new case... The case I'm using now limits me to a 8Inch Graphics card at most. Yeah I guess my CPU is fine but the case and motherboard is still a problem in my opinion. Also I wanted to get a new motherboard that allows me to get into overclocking and i'm pretty sure it wouldn't be safe to do with the motherboard the Inspirion has right now.  

You won't be able to OC with a 4460, regardless of the motherboard. So if that was your only reason to swap it out, give up and save the money..

As said, invest into a case and a better GPU.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

5 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

You won't be able to OC with a 4460, regardless of the motherboard. So if that was your only reason to swap it out, give up and save the money..

As said, invest into a case and a better GPU.

Yeah I know. I was talking about overclocking my GPU. I was thinking that the Motherboard in the Inspirion isn't specifically a overclocking Motherboard so It would be a hazard if I would increased the voltage or raise clocks on a GPU using it...I'm not that tech savy so can you perhaps list a compatible case for me? 

9 minutes ago, Virtual_Hitman said:

Yeah I know. I was talking about overclocking my GPU. I was thinking that the Motherboard in the Inspirion isn't specifically a overclocking Motherboard so It would be a hazard if I would increased the voltage or raise clocks on a GPU using it...I'm not that tech savy so can you perhaps list a compatible case for me? 

Assuming you'll swap out the GPU (rather than upgrading the mobo) and get one with an auxiliary power conector, you can actually OC the GPU just fine. The mobo has very little to do with it.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

On 7/15/2016 at 6:02 PM, Imakuni said:

Assuming you'll swap out the GPU (rather than upgrading the mobo) and get one with an auxiliary power conector, you can actually OC the GPU just fine. The mobo has very little to do with it.

So a GPU like 750TI like I have now that only takes power from the PCIE slot would be unsafe to overclock? 

3 hours ago, Virtual_Hitman said:

So a GPU like 750TI like I have now that only takes power from the PCIE slot would be unsafe to overclock? 

Nah, you could OC even with that. I just word the phrase the way I did to assure you that you could OC your new GPU regardless of the mobo.

16 hours ago, Imakuni said:

Nah, you could OC even with that. I just word the phrase the way I did to assure you that you could OC your new GPU regardless of the mobo.

So yeah, I decided to transfer everything into a new case so I can have more room for a graphics card upgrade... Will this case work? 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811139043&cm_re=spec-02_case-_-11-139-043-_-Product -SPEC 2

8 hours ago, Virtual_Hitman said:

Should work just fine

30 minutes ago, Imakuni said:

Should work just fine

One last thing... Will Windows reset after the transfer? I heard that hardware changes disrupt Windows... Will a GPU upgrade also force me to buy a new OS or disrupt Windows at all? 

5 minutes ago, Virtual_Hitman said:

One last thing... Will Windows reset after the transfer? I heard that hardware changes disrupt Windows... Will a GPU upgrade also force me to buy a new OS or disrupt Windows at all? 

"Hardware change" refers to mobo change, basically. Don't swap it and you won't need a new OS.