i7 6700 OC

Go to solution Solved by Energycore,
2 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

Actually, I heard that there is a way to overclock non-k skylake CPUs, but only for Z170 motherboards. But in my mobo BIOS, there's an option "Overclocking"´, but it's not accessible.

It's not going to be accessible on your motherboard. I suspect MSI just used the same UEFI for all their mobos and greyed out the unavaiable options.

If you do want to overclock it, get a combo of motherboard and aftermarket cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 67.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($49.85 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($141.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $191.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 12:34 EDT-0400

I also recommend Memory that's rated for high speed, so that you don't have to mess around with its speed as much.

Hey guys,

just asking if there's a way to overclock my i7 6700 on an MSI B150 PC Mate (I know, that this thing is a shitty motherboard, but I ran out of money) ?

Thank you in advance

Actually, I heard that there is a way to overclock non-k skylake CPUs, but only for Z170 motherboards. But in my mobo BIOS, there's an option "Overclocking"´, but it's not accessible.

2 hours ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

There WAS a way. Intel forgot to lock the base clock values on the non skylake cpus so people could just change the base clock to get a overclock on their cpu. About a week later it got patched.

1 minute ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

That "BUG" that you could overclock on a non K cpu has been fixt by Intel with a microcode i think. And the bios thing mayby its from another motherboard

Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,1 Ghz GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT @2,2 Ghz RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2666 Mhz  MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-E Storage: Western Digital SN750 500GB + Samsung 970 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda Compute 1000GB Case: NZXT H500 

Results: Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 2800

2 minutes ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

It's not going to be accessible on your motherboard. I suspect MSI just used the same UEFI for all their mobos and greyed out the unavaiable options.

If you do want to overclock it, get a combo of motherboard and aftermarket cooler.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim 67.8 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler  ($49.85 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($141.88 @ OutletPC)
Total: $191.73
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-10 12:34 EDT-0400

I also recommend Memory that's rated for high speed, so that you don't have to mess around with its speed as much.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

2 minutes ago, Slammer said:

That "BUG" that you could overclock on a non K cpu has been fixt by Intel with a microcode i think. And the bios thing mayby its from another motherboard

The BIOSes before the microcode update are still out there so people can still flash them

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

The BIOSes before the microcode update are still out there so people can still flash them

Yes it can but microcode updates are sometimes done via Windows update. 

Desktop: CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 @4,1 Ghz GPU: AMD Radeon 5700XT @2,2 Ghz RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB @2666 Mhz  MB: Asus ROG STRIX B450-E Storage: Western Digital SN750 500GB + Samsung 970 EVO 250GB + Seagate Barracuda Compute 1000GB Case: NZXT H500 

Results: Cinebench R20 Multi-thread: 2800

1 minute ago, Slammer said:

Yes it can but microcode updates are sometimes done via Windows update. 

This is true; so far a microcode update has not been issued, and I suspect that as long as not too many people do it, it will not.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

1 hour ago, TheOnlyNexus said:

You can still do it on Z170 mobos, but it has so many drawbacks it's not recommended.

1 hour ago, EnemySp0tt3d said:

There WAS a way.

1 hour ago, Slammer said:

As said, you can still do it (on Z170 anyways). All you need is to use microcode 74 or lower (76 is the patched one, but I've never seen 75).

Older bios with that code are still easily available. And there are even some fancier mobos that allow you to manually chose the microcode regardless of the bios, so you can run the latest one and still be able to OC just fine.

Though, as I've said, this is for Z170, which is not OP's case. And even if he did have a supported mobo, I would not recommend doing it. Still, gotta give correct information rather than just throwing out misinformed statements, even if the end result is the same.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!