Help setting up routers

mahavishnuuuu

Hi. I just got another cheap router to extend our network with, and I've run into some issues. After connecting router 3 the whole network stops working after a while. The setup:

Main router/modem ---cable---> Router2

Main router/modem ---cable---> Router3

All routers are different brands. Router 2 I set up easily just by disabling DCHP. Router 3 have one DCHP setting which is turned off, but under WAN settings there's the choice of "Auto Config (DHCP)", "Static IP", or "PPPoE dial-up".

Default is set to  "Auto Config (DHCP)".  I've never needed to change anything regarding DNS or Gateway to connect a router, but could this default setting be causing problems with the assignment of IP addresses?

I doubt I have to tell you I really don't know much about this..

Thanks for any advice,

Simon

1 hour ago, mahavishnuuuu said:

Hi. I just got another cheap router to extend our network with, and I've run into some issues. After connecting router 3 the whole network stops working after a while. The setup:

Main router/modem ---cable---> Router2

Main router/modem ---cable---> Router3

All routers are different brands. Router 2 I set up easily just by disabling DCHP. Router 3 have one DCHP setting which is turned off, but under WAN settings there's the choice of "Auto Config (DHCP)", "Static IP", or "PPPoE dial-up".

Default is set to  "Auto Config (DHCP)".  I've never needed to change anything regarding DNS or Gateway to connect a router, but could this default setting be causing problems with the assignment of IP addresses?

I doubt I have to tell you I really don't know much about this..

Thanks for any advice,

Simon

I would start by giving all 3 routers static IP addresses on their LAN interfaces. Set the gateway for router 2 and 3 to be the IP address of router 1. Make sure to turn of DHCP server on router 2 and 3.

System/Server Administrator - Networking - Storage - Virtualization - Scripting - Applications