Which has the better value?

JoxY
Go to solution Solved by SSL,
1 minute ago, JoxY said:

I will mostly be listening to electronic music and rock and playing videogames. I heard that both the K612s and DT 990s are good for gaming.

990 better for EDM.

Hey guys, 

I'm currently looking at buying either the AKG K612 Pro or the DT 990 Pro. I'm having a problem deciding if the extra price is worth it.

The DT 990 Pro is $135 USD and the AKG K612 Pros are $199.99 USD. (Prices from Amazon)

Are the AKG K612 Pro worth the extra $65 USD?

I am also worried about how to power the DT 990 Pros.

I have an ASUS Maximus VII hero and it says it has a built in amp, ranging from 0-65, 65-150, and then 150-???. Doesn't say the max. 

Since the AKG K612 Pro has a lower impedance than the 990 Pro, I'm positive I could run those with my onboard audio.

BUT, if I get the 990s I am unsure if I will be able to drive them and might have to buy an amp for $99.

What sounds like a better buy/value to get?

47 minutes ago, Antony Leung said:

***OFF TOPIC***

Read this. maybe there's somtehing better here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/pcmasterrace/comments/4nabvv/gaming_audio_and_you_why_995_of_gaming_headsets/

***OFF TOPIC***

I select blindly the  AKG K61. idk im not into this.

Ugh.

Get the DT990. The K612 is actually harder to drive BECAUSE HIGHER IMPEDANCE DOESN'T NECESSARILY REQUIRE HIGHER POWER.

14 minutes ago, SSL said:

Ugh.

Get the DT990. The K612 is actually harder to drive BECAUSE HIGHER IMPEDANCE DOESN'T NECESSARILY REQUIRE HIGHER POWER.

Should I get an amp with my purchase or wait until I can test it?

14 minutes ago, SSL said:

Ugh.

Are they really that hard to drive?

OP what kind og sound signature do you like, the K612 are very neutral and the DT 990 has a V sound signature (bass and treble boost)

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, JoxY said:

Should I get an amp with my purchase or wait until I can test it?

always test first.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Are they really that hard to drive?

OP what kind og sound signature do you like, the K612 are very neutral and the DT 990 has a V sound signature (bass and treble boost)

I will mostly be listening to electronic music and rock and playing videogames. I heard that both the K612s and DT 990s are good for gaming.

1 minute ago, JoxY said:

990 better for EDM.

4 minutes ago, SSL said:

990 better for EDM.

12 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

always test first.

Thanks for the help guys! xD