Upgrade make sense?

Go to solution Solved by Crunchynmilk,
6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

I'd suggest going for the Hyper 212 EVO (since the Cryorig H7 seems to be out of stock and the beQuiet! Pure Rock is overpriced now).

The problem with your PSU is not that it cannot supply enough power for your build but rather the quality of it is lacking. You should be able to pick up a Corsair CX550M or CX650M for the same price.

Final Upgrade build, look good? xD Im basically buying a whole new PC!

Current Specs

Earlier I made a post asking others for help because I wanted to purchase the GTX 960 in hopes that it would boost my fps in csgo from 130 fps to around 250+ fps. My original concern was bottlenecking because of my CPU etc., so we ended up concluding that I should just upgrade my CPU etc. instead because I already have the Gigabyte Radeon R9 270x, some suggested I do " CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($194.99 @ SuperBiiz) Motherboard: MSI H110M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.98 @ Newegg) Memory: Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($26.99 @ SuperBiiz)", and others said that I should upgrade to the 4690k and overclock, I took both of these considerations and ended up with this build. , Does this make sense? Do you have any suggestions? thanks for your help.

-Crunchy

Right off the bat non-oc mobo. So no

And a little concern with the psu. I'm no psu expert so I'll leave that to the other people

Edited by Silencer

1 minute ago, Silencer said:

Right off the bat non-oc mobo. So no

suggest any mobo's that are overclockable near that price?

1 minute ago, Silencer said:

I've no experience with z haswell boards so sorry, can't help you there

ok :3

14 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

A better/more stupid question, where can I look to see if a motherboard is overclockable?

3 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

A better/more stupid question, where can I look to see if a motherboard is overclockable?

It has to have a "Z" chipset.  So z170 or z97, not h170 or q170, or b150, or h110, or b85, et cetera.

1 minute ago, ace_cheaply said:

It has to have a "Z" chipset.  So z170 or z197, no h170 or q170, or b150, or h110, or b85, et cetera.

ok thanks

1 minute ago, Crunchynmilk said:

I switched out my mother board since it wasnt overclockable to the  ASRock H97M Anniversary Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Won't work. You need the Z97 chipset. I suggest the MSI Z97S SLI Krait.

'Fanboyism is stupid' - someone on this forum.

Be nice to each other boys and girls. And don't cheap out on a power supply.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

would this work? its expensive doe.  ASRock Z97M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Yes, it will. Don't know why I suggested a ATX mobo.

Keep in mind that you will need an aftermarket cooler and also a PSU upgrade in the future.

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K - 4.5 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR3 | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO - 500GB | GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6GB | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2 | Case: NZXT Phantom 530 | Cooling: CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | Peripherals: Corsair Vengeance K70 and Razer DeathAdder

2 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

Keep in mind that you will need an aftermarket cooler and also a PSU upgrade in the future.

ughhhh, one thing leads to another I guess, how much should I spend on these upgrades?

1 minute ago, Crunchynmilk said:

ughhhh, one thing leads to another I guess, how much should I spend on these upgrades?

Roughly $25-30 on the cooler and another $50 for the PSU. All you need now is the cooler, the PSU doesn't need to be immediately replaced but it is advisable to replace it soon since you are overclocking.

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

ARCTIC Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 45.0 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler work for cooler?  Corsair Builder 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply?

28 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

I have the Gigabyte Z97P-D3, but I dont know how it overlocks as I have a 4590. But that mobo isn't expensive, like $80.

Main gaming pc: Lian-Li Lancool II Mesh Performance - Ryzen 5 5600X - MSI GTX1080Ti Armor - AMD Wraith Spire RGB - ASUS TUF Gaming B550 Plus - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB 3200MHz - 500GB M.2 (and a few other drives)

Gaming laptop: ASUS GL552VW: i7 6700HQ - GTX960M 2GB - 8GB DDR4 2166Mhz RAM - 1TB 7200RPM HDD

2 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

I'd suggest going for the Hyper 212 EVO (since the Cryorig H7 seems to be out of stock and the beQuiet! Pure Rock is overpriced now).

The problem with your PSU is not that it cannot supply enough power for your build but rather the quality of it is lacking. You should be able to pick up a Corsair CX550M or CX650M for the same price.

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, HKZeroFive said:

5 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

Everything looks good :) 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HKZeroFive said:

Everything looks good :) 

How much FPS do you think I'll get playing csgo on low settings after I do this? HYPE ME BOI! But don't you DARE lie to ME!!! xD

The CX series have been known to have issues down the line (like, the usual recommendation is to updrade after 18 months). They are not good for any high end builds and overclocking. Personally I would never recommend them. If you ever plan on getting a high end GPU and good overclocks, I would recommend a seasonic. Any seasonic would be better than the CX series. If you're looking for something more affordable, try the EVGA 500B.

EDIT: of course, you can just go with the CX for now, and then upgrade down in a year or so.

This is a signature.

1 minute ago, Raytsou said:

The CX series have been known to have issues down the line (like, the usual recommendation is to updrade after 18 months). They are not good for any high end builds and overclocking. Personally I would never recommend them. If you ever plan on getting a high end GPU and good overclocks, I would recommend a seasonic. Any seasonic would be better than the CX series. If you're looking for something more affordable, try the EVGA 500B.

WHY MUST THINGS BE SO COMPLICATED! Lol, I appreciate your input I really do, you can say I told you so in 18 months, ima take my chances, 18 months is a long time.

Just now, Crunchynmilk said:

WHY MUST THINGS BE SO COMPLICATED! Lol, I appreciate your input I really do, you can say I told you so in 18 months, ima take my chances, 18 months is a long time.

No worries bud. The CX series are still pretty solid, just that they are low end alternatives and supposedly have issues, especially when run at max load for long periods of time.

This is a signature.

2 minutes ago, Raytsou said:

EDIT: of course, you can just go with the CX for now, and then upgrade down in a year or so.

I'm assuming you're talking about my recommendations of the CX550M and CX650M?

The old green models had that 'rep' of being not all that great. These new grey CXs are custom designs from CWT, with DC-DC regulation, better capacitors, a rating of 40C, all-black cables and a five year warranty. Overall giving much better voltage and load stability and I dare say 'better' than the Seasonic S12II and M12II which are old group regulated designs.

8 minutes ago, Crunchynmilk said:

How much FPS do you think I'll get playing csgo on low settings after I do this? HYPE ME BOI! But don't you DARE lie to ME!!! xD

Wouldn't be surprised if you got around the 300 mark. Nuke might be a bitch though :P 

Spoiler