I have these two computers I want to sell but they were my personal computers. The PC’s have personal information on it. How do I delete everything on the Hard drive without the buyer finding out my information when he starts the computer? The PC’s also have passcodes on them  so do those go away after I delete everything on the hard drives to. Does the operating system  get deleted when you wipe the hard drive to. So can anybody help me to delete the information so I can start saving up for the GTX 1080 and get it when it releases.

When you format a hard drive the operating system is deleted but if you keep a note of the product key of each OS and a boot disc you can reinstall the OS onto the system.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

5 minutes ago, Joegeddon said:

When you format a hard drive the operating system is deleted but if you keep a note of the product key of each OS and a boot disc you can reinstall the OS onto the system.

You can create a bootdisk using the microsoft provided software here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

This should work for any OS that is Windows 7 or above.

• AMD Athlon X4 760K CPU   |   MSI FM2+ ATX A88X-G45 Motherboard   |   8GB 1600MHz RAM   |   MSI GTX 760 GPU (Reference)
  • Thermaltake Versa H22 Case   |   1TB Seagate, 0.5TB Hitachi (7200RPM)   |   ArcticRed+ 700WStock    |   Windows 8.1

Formatting the hard disk does not really remove any information.  Good recovery software could get back a surprising amount, so you'll want to use a tool to write nonsense data or zeros to the whole disk at least once before selling it on.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

If you use Darik's boot nuke it will make the data almost unrecoverable.

Edited by Ryan_Vickers
fixed ;)

2 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Formatting the hard disk does not really remove any information.  Good recovery software could get back a surprising amount, so you'll want to use a tool to write nonsense data or zeros to the whole disk at least once before selling it on.

do you no any software that can do that for me

1 minute ago, Need money for PC parts said:

yes

6 minutes ago, Joegeddon said:

If you use Darik's boot nuke it will make the data almost unrecoverable.

:)

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, Need money for PC parts said:

Darik's boot nuke

If you are using Windows 10, follow these steps:

1.  Go to settings

2. Navigate to "Update & Security".

3. Click on "recovery".

4. Click on "Get Started" under "reset this PC".

This will wipe everything on the hard drive except the OS. You do NOT need to type the licence key back in. This process will take a could hours - all depends on the PC speeds. 

2 hours ago, Telebubbies said:

If you are using Windows 10, follow these steps:

1.  Go to settings

2. Navigate to "Update & Security".

3. Click on "recovery".

4. Click on "Get Started" under "reset this PC".

This will wipe everything on the hard drive except the OS. You do NOT need to type the licence key back in. This process will take a could hours - all depends on the PC speeds. 

but I'm using  windows 8.1 64-bit

Just now, Need money for PC parts said:

but I'm using  windows 8.1 64-bit

Let me see if there is a similar feature. Give me a second.