considering getting into video editing

I by no means a professional, I want to start learning and using video editing software. I'm not a youtuber and these are not for youtube, rather more of personal/family videos. 

How or where do I begin? :D

First would be to have some footage and just play around with it in an editing software I guess. :)

You planning on filming yourself or just doing the editing of videos other people capture?

| Intel i5 4670k @ 4.3GHz | XFX RX 480 8 GB | Asus Z87i-Pro | 8.0 GB Kinston DDR3 | Samsung Evo 120GB SSD |

The first step is research and studying.  Download an editing software, I recommend DaVinci Resolve 12 free, look for some sample footages online, tons of them free on the web.

Finally practice.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

OK EDITS:

Video editing is not just about knowing the software and knowing which tools to use.  It involves conceptualizing the project before it begins, knowing what you want to achieve as the final output and making it happen.

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer

it's mostly videos of the kids and family events, so nothing can really be planned beforehand. 

I understand that I have to be creative cutting and attach certain parts of videos and/or photos together to make a unique video. 

7 minutes ago, ultra99 said:

snip

Well I wasn't really talking about the filming part, I know that it's not easy to plan how you want to film kids and family events.  it will most likely be on-the-fly ad-hoc stuff.  But for editing you can think about what you want the final result to be like.