What should I do?

striker477

So I noticed my graphics card in my htpc was getting extremely hot and I had taken it apart blew the dust out reapplied thermal paste and it dropped temperatures a bit. But the fan was still spinning up really hard so I added a second fan for exhaust as my  case only came with one fan set as intake. Which helped dropped the temps fairly significantly the highest I've seen my graphics card go so far has been 60 degrees. 

The problem is the fan I found lying around is way to loud for my liking, It's an old 4 pin molex fan which my motherboard was out of fan slots so my only option really was to plug it into my psu. Would the trick in the video below work for my situation or is there a quieter fan i can connect through molex? or should i just look into a fan controller and upgrade fans? If i was to look at a fan controller would have to be pci as my only drive bay is taken up which would make it difficult to access the controller as the pc sits in my entertainment center. 

Would like to solve this issue as cheap as possible. 

11 minutes ago, striker477 said:

So I noticed my graphics card in my htpc was getting extremely hot and I had taken it apart blew the dust out reapplied thermal paste and it dropped temperatures a bit. But the fan was still spinning up really hard so I added a second fan for exhaust as my  case only came with one fan set as intake. Which helped dropped the temps fairly significantly the highest I've seen my graphics card go so far has been 60 degrees. 

The problem is the fan I found lying around is way to loud for my liking, It's an old 4 pin molex fan which my motherboard was out of fan slots so my only option really was to plug it into my psu. Would the trick in the video below work for my situation or is there a quieter fan i can connect through molex? or should i just look into a fan controller and upgrade fans? If i was to look at a fan controller would have to be pci as my only drive bay is taken up which would make it difficult to access the controller as the pc sits in my entertainment center. 

Would like to solve this issue as cheap as possible. 

By the way, you´d be better off having more intake over outtake.

Yeah my case has slots for 3 120mm fans and I'm thinking if i bought more fans I would to 2 intake one exhaust. Just trying to figure out the best solution, want to keep the computer pretty quiet but also don't want to spend a ton of money buying expensive fans like noctua's 

Let the motherboard control the fan, using splitters. There I got a pwm 4 way splitter powered by molex with 4 pwm fan plugged in, so no fan at 100% speed as the speed is bios controlled.

Also Noctua is not the only company making fan

4 minutes ago, Alice in game said:

Let the motherboard control the fan, using splitters. There I got a pwm 4 way splitter powered by molex with 4 pwm fan plugged in, so no fan at 100% speed as the speed is bios controlled.

Also Noctua is not the only company making fan

So your saying i can run a splitter from the motherboard's fan slot to run the other fans? 

If I do that will the motherboard just detect a single fan and run them all at the same speed or? 

I know Noctua is not the only company just looking for a fairly quiet solution to keep things cool without breaking the bank. 

49 minutes ago, striker477 said:

So your saying i can run a splitter from the motherboard's fan slot to run the other fans? 

If I do that will the motherboard just detect a single fan and run them all at the same speed or? 

I know Noctua is not the only company just looking for a fairly quiet solution to keep things cool without breaking the bank. 

the answer is yes to both questions.

I use the product in the picture bellow.

The female plug with green/blue wire is plugged to the mobo. It read the speed of the fan with green and pwm the speed with blue.

The first male plug on the left, I use it to plug my cpu fan, so the reading of the speed come from that fan. It used like a real pwm fan with 4 cables.

The tree extra fan are pluged in the 3 other male connectors, they use the pwm speed control with the 4th wire (blue) but lack the speed reading ability (green) but that does not matter, as the only fan that the computer need to monitor is the cup one (if it fail, it's worst if any other fan fail).

Then the molex deliver the power with the yellow and black wires..

00000003239073_A01.jpg