Retrofitted Game Boy

Okjoek

I always wondered why they decided to go with that sort of touch screen hybrid design starting with the original DS handheld. I guess it's to be expected from Nintendo who always likes to try new gimmicks and stuff, not to say it's a bad practice, but I was hesitant myself to upgrade from my GBAsp at the time. I did because I wanted to keep playing the new Pokemon games, but now that I look back I don't think the design with a bottom touch screen is all that necessary.

What I would have always loved is a retrofitted GBA sp. What I mean is keep the basic system design, but upgrade the hardware to modern stuff. Easier said than done I guess, but Imagine how cool a Game Boy would be with a modern LED screen instead of the old LCD ones, some of which early versions didn't even have backlighting.

Give it a real 3.5mm audio output,

chips instead of  the cartridges that I still blow into out of habit,

Sleep mode upon closing the lid,

wireless built in communication, 

more efficient modern battery and charging port.

Maybe it's just nostalgia, but I really do think my GBA is a fantastic design let down only by time. I play my GBAsp the most in the evening and unlike my DS's I can play my GBAsp with one hand which is a point of dislike on the DS. I mean you could probably make my GBAsp a little bigger for a nicer size screen, but if it's too big I find it uncomfortable because I always have to use both hands to play it. I am actually kind of surprized at how lame it is trying to game on my iPhone as well. I don't care for any of the titles on the app store and I'm not that fond of the touch screen for use in gaming. If Nintendo ever did retrofit such a perfect design I would buy from them again, but it doesn't look like it would ever happen and the 3DS might be the last Nintendo handheld I ever purchase.

Just now, GreezyJeezy said:

then there would be no ds 

Okay maybe taking my title a bit too literally. Might change that since I wasn't sure what to say there to begin with.

4 minutes ago, Okjoek said:

Okay maybe taking my title a bit too literally. Might change that since I wasn't sure what to say there to begin with.

just want to make my comment look random eh xD 

thats what my nvidia shield portable is for :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii