Old workstation hardware uses?

Dustyne

So i just got a bunch of old workstations a couple of weeks ago, and just tested them today. 4 of them seem to be working fine, 2 aren't displaying to the screen but turn on. I got the 6 of them all free and i plan on giving a couple working ones to a couple of friends and try to get a few others working for myself.

I'm just wondering if there is anything useful i can do with them. I looked up what I could use them for and it seems hard to find anything

Specs: Dual AMD Opteron 250 (Single Cores)

Nvidia Quadro FX 3000

4GB DDR (Atleast 2 of them aren't seeing half of the ram or reporting errors on 2 DIMMs)

Seagate Cheetah HDD (Not sure the size yet)

My plans were to run Linux on them, or if one was completely trash just do a DIY scrap test bench. Any other ideas?

(Sorry if I did anything stupid posting this, first real post)

CPU: AMD FX-8320E Motherboard: ASRock 970M Pro3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz GPU: PowerColor R7 370 2GB Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX Storage: 120GB Kingston V300 + 1TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: EVGA NEX750B 750W Monitor: LG 22MP55 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Keyboard & Mouse: Cooler Master Devastator Sound: Logitech G230 OS: Windows 10

5 minutes ago, Dustyne said:

So i just got a bunch of old workstations a couple of weeks ago, and just tested them today. 4 of them seem to be working fine, 2 aren't displaying to the screen but turn on. I got the 6 of them all free and i plan on giving a couple working ones to a couple of friends and try to get a few others working for myself.

I'm just wondering if there is anything useful i can do with them. I looked up what I could use them for and it seems hard to find anything

Nvidia Quadro FX 3000

4GB DDR (Atleast 2 of them aren't seeing half of the ram or reporting errors on 2 DIMMs)

My plans were to run Linux on them, or if one was completely trash just do a DIY scrap test bench. Any other ideas?

NAS? Really big and bragging rights router/modem?

10 minutes ago, Dustyne said:

Nvidia Quadro FX 3000

if i can run lubuntu on a 20 year old pc with 256mb of ram and a 500mhz PIII cpu then it will probably be fine to run on those

That old nothing useful

non useful retro games?

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

12 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

NAS? Really big and bragging rights router/modem?

Would these CPU's even be fast enough to be a NAS though? I've seen a lot of posts just trashing these cpu's

6 minutes ago, Jer45 said:

if i can run lubuntu on a 20 year old pc with 256mb of ram and a 500mhz PIII cpu then it will probably be fine to run on those

Is there any other distro's i could run with them too? i mean i have 6 so I could experiment lol. Is there more distros that are light enough?

CPU: AMD FX-8320E Motherboard: ASRock 970M Pro3 RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws X 2x4GB DDR3 1600Mhz GPU: PowerColor R7 370 2GB Case: Cooler Master N200 mATX Storage: 120GB Kingston V300 + 1TB Seagate Barracuda PSU: EVGA NEX750B 750W Monitor: LG 22MP55 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Keyboard & Mouse: Cooler Master Devastator Sound: Logitech G230 OS: Windows 10

Retro Gaming System

Overkill Router

NAS?

CPU: Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.91 GHz RAM: G.Skill 4x4GB 2133Mhz DDR3 GPU: AMD HD 7970 3GB SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 500GB PSU: Corsair HX620W  Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3 Case: Phanteks P400 Tempered Glass (Black) Monitor: Dell P2412H, Dell 2012H Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate Classic Mouse: Logitech G203 Prodigy HDD: WD Black 3TB

1 minute ago, Dustyne said:

Would these CPU's even be fast enough to be a NAS though? I've seen a lot of posts just trashing these cpu's

Is there any other distro's i could run with them too? i mean i have 6 so I could experiment lol. Is there more distros that are light enough?

here is a list

https://www.linux.com/news/best-lightweight-linux-distros

1 minute ago, valdyrgramr said:

Low end editing?

photoshop CS2? ive used that on a 16 year old laptop

Just now, valdyrgramr said:

Editing might be useless on this, though.  It's 2 single cores.

well my experience was on a 950MHz single core amd durion