Question: Optimal EPS port (4 or 8-pin connector) position

Hi guys,

I have a question:

Why are the EPS (8 or 4-pin power connectors) always on the top of the board, while the 24-pin port always is on the right hand side of the board?

What I mean, is that both of these ports are for power-input. So why wouldn't they be better positionned side-by-side?

In my opinion, if the EPS (4 or 8-pin) port would be just below or above the 24-pin port, cable-routing would be easier. (more cables go to the same place and not all over the place)

There would be less cables on top of the motherboard which would potentially let more place for a top-mounted radiator...

Anyhow, what are your thoughts on that?

Putting the 8 pin on the top minimizes the amount of cables that go into the rubber grommet where the 24 pin is located because there you would have to route the 24 pin, sata cables, and gpu power cables. Its on the top because it can directly supply power to the cpu i think so the motherboard wouldn't have to route the power all the way to the cpu if it was beside the 24 pin. Correct me if I am wrong about this.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Do you understand how a motherboard works?

This. The EPS supplies power to the CPU so the closer the better really.

i7 4790k | Asus Z97 M-Plus | 16GB Mushkin 1600mhz | Sapphire R9 390X | Samsung 830 128GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue | Corsair HX750i | Corsair Carbide 330r Blackout Edition 

Oh, I did not think about where the power goes once it is delivered to the board.

So yes, now taken that into account, it is logical to put it as close to the CPU as possible.

And to answer your question: yes I do understand how a motherboard works, and what a PCB is, how it is fabricated etc... I just did overlook this detail.

Anyhow, thank you for your answers :)