dts or 5.1

billythekid2012

Hi I have these speakers

http://www.lg.com/ca_en/home-theater-systems/lg-TS913ES

And not sure what  if it dose dts or 5.1  and what is better when viewing a movie 5.1sound or dts

I just want the best sound I can have.

dts is a 5.1 codec.

you probably mean dobly digital and dts. if dts is available choose dts the lg system can decode it.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

• 2 weeks later...

If your are talking a about Dolby vs dts choose dts dts is way better it is higher quility trust me you can hear the difference

• 3 weeks later...

Dolby Digital and DTS are both compressed 5.1. They are very similar in quality. Ether is fine if they are both 5.1. DTS-HD, Dolby TrueHD and PCM 5.1 are uncompressed 5.1 and better quality. Its Dolby Pro logic that is simulated 5.1 very low quality

So DTS is generly your first choise unless its bluray then HD

There are diferent types of Dolby

Dolby TrueHD

Dolby Digital

Pro Logic II

Prologic

Another thing to keep in mind if you dont have a AVR with HDMI then your using the Toslink from you TV to a reciever. Most TV downgrade the 5.1 signal to 2.1. Thats why its best to have HDMI source> AVR> TV. Also Toslink will not work with uncomplessed 5.1

The LG will only play standard DTS and Dolby Digital. Not the HD versions of it.

And DTS will always be better than standard DD, Since the lowest DTS bitrate is higher than the best DD bitrate (Including some DD+ tracks). On DVD DD only have either 348 or 448 bitrate, and DTS har 768 or 14xx bitrate. And more bitrate is always better when it comes to compressed soundtracks. Excpecially when it's surround.

(The HD versions don't have one that's better than the other).

Sorry for the few off Capital letters in my posts, it does it on its own when I Write in English, since my OS is in another Language. It's annoying.