Windows 8.1 .NET Framework 3.5 help?

Spewky

Hi,

So I'm trying to get this game called Rust, and when I purchase it (off steam) and install it, it successfully does this all. But upon trying to play Rust it gives me a notification saying that I must install the ".NET Framework 3.5".

When I attempt to install this using an offline installer downloaded from the internet and going into the windows menu, searching for "Turn windows features on and off" and then selecting the ".NET Framework 3.5" to install. But with both of these methods I have not been successful and it gives me the same error code after trying to install for a few minutes.

Does anyone know a way I can fix this because it's really annoying me now and I don't really want to get a refund if I can avoid it.

Thanks, 

I ran into this issue working with some VMs that had a firewall that only allowed through "approved" windows updates. So the way I went around it was mounting the iso and following this guide. http://www.askvg.com/how-to-install-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-offline-in-windows-8-without-internet-connection/ (will work for any version 8 and up) You will need to change the drive letter to the disk location that the iso is mounted though. Windows 8 through 10 isos have 3.5 on it but they are not installed by default because they want to save space on the drive. 

Edit: It has worked for me every time but if not you can try other methods if I can find the other ones I tried.

34 minutes ago, Fireknives said:

I ran into this issue working with some VMs that had a firewall that only allowed through "approved" windows updates. So the way I went around it was mounting the iso and following this guide. http://www.askvg.com/how-to-install-microsoft-net-framework-3-5-offline-in-windows-8-without-internet-connection/ (will work for any version 8 and up) You will need to change the drive letter to the disk location that the iso is mounted though. Windows 8 through 10 isos have 3.5 on it but they are not installed by default because they want to save space on the drive. 

Edit: It has worked for me every time but if not you can try other methods if I can find the other ones I tried. I normally refrain from changing all these windows things as I think it's overcomplicated. 

Another problem being I don't know how to do any of this. I also don't know what it means by windows setup files and I don't know where to find any of this. 

Do you know any videos that can help so I can actually find this stuff?

Oh okay. I don't know of any video at the moment but I can walk you through it. The setup files are what is on the windows iso disk so you don't have to worry about getting them. Do you have the iso for the version of windows you are using or the cd for it?

1 hour ago, Fireknives said:

Oh okay. I don't know of any video at the moment but I can walk you through it. The setup files are what is on the windows iso disk so you don't have to worry about getting them. Do you have the iso for the version of windows you are using or the cd for it?

I think I have the CD for it somewhere. What do I need to do with it? 

You will need to put it in your CD drive. After you do that see what drive letter it was given. The last thing to do is to pull up a CMD window and type "Dism /online /enable-feature /featurename:NetFx3 /All /Source:F:\sources\sxs /LimitAccess" the bold F needs to be changed to the drive location that the CD is at.