new rendering/ gaming rig.

Bigheart

H440 isn't the best for airflow mate.

Corsair Air 540 / Fractal R5 / Phanteks Enthoo Luxe maybe?

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

14 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

my friend and i are architecture majors, so we need to use some heavy duty rendering software, so i made this build as a balance between that and gaming, any comments are appreciated, 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jK7LWZ

for rendering I suggest going with a X99 motherboard and pairing it with a 5820k for the extra cores. Lots of power especially when overclocked.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

1 hour ago, suchamoneypit said:

for rendering I suggest going with a X99 motherboard and pairing it with a 5820k for the extra cores. Lots of power especially when overclocked.

hrmm, i would have to reduce the gpu then cause im already at budget for hardware, but i have thought about it though. my gaming instincts are a against it, but my productivity side wants it. im torn. 

2 hours ago, Fulgrim said:

H440 isn't the best for airflow mate.

Corsair Air 540 / Fractal R5 / Phanteks Enthoo Luxe maybe?

i do quite like the fractal. that was actually one of the options i was thinking of. how much better would you say it is than the h440?

2 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

hrmm, i would have to reduce the gpu then cause im already at budget for hardware, but i have thought about it though. my gaming instincts are a against it, but my productivity side wants it. im torn. 

the motherboard for x99 is probably only $40-80 more expensive, and if you have a Microcenter nearby they usually sell 5820k's for only $300, meaning you only need to spend around $40 more, you could also just get 16GB of RAM to start to save an additional $60, and if you haven't purchased the CPU cooler already, a 212 evo could be used to save another $30.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

22 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

my friend and i are architecture majors, so we need to use some heavy duty rendering software, so i made this build as a balance between that and gaming, any comments are appreciated, 

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jK7LWZ

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($369.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler  ($61.96) 
Motherboard: Asus X99-PRO/USB 3.1 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($321.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory  ($299.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($87.77 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Toshiba  2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($67.89 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon R9 390 8GB Double Dissipation Video Card  ($294.99 @ Newegg) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($89.99 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($84.99 @ NCIX US) 
Total: $1679.56
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-04-12 23:11 EDT-0400

10 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GcGCBm

10 minutes ago, Bigheart said:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/v3ggYJ

2 hours ago, suchamoneypit said:

the motherboard for x99 is probably only $40-80 more expensive, and if you have a Microcenter nearby they usually sell 5820k's for only $300, meaning you only need to spend around $40 more, you could also just get 16GB of RAM to start to save an additional $60, and if you haven't purchased the CPU cooler already, a 212 evo could be used to save another $30.

i live in oklahoma. i once showed a friend my computer and he thought it was a transformer, we have no micro centers. we have horses and corn. lots of corn. and wind. its windy too. frys is also out, but i think i can still probably find a good deal online. as for the cooler, liike i said im an arch major, and the dark rock is too pertty. did i mention its windy here?