RAID and AHCI

Brian Lu
Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,
9 hours ago, Brian Lu said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

As @Naeaes suggested, RAID mode supports everything you need from AHCI. RAID modes on newer motherboards actually incorporate AHCI in themselves and thus there are some manufacturers that actually recommend working on RAID mode instead of AHCI regardless if you are working with a RAID array or not as the controller simply lists all drives as JBOD. :)

If everything is working fine I wouldn't bother changing modes or tweaking the registry. :)

Captain_WD.

i recently upgrade my old HDD in my alienware 14 to samsung 850 evo (500GB), then the samsung magician said that i sould put my sata operation mode to AHCI for best performace, i did so and window wont boot (error code: inaccessible boot device) until i access BIOS and switch it back to RAID, window now agree to boot. how can i fix this or it's temporary? 

Thanks

Just let it be. This shouldn't happen but sometimes it does. Something about the format table is RAID-specific and you won't be able to fix it without reinstalling, I'd bet. 

The reason it suggest you to turn AHCI on is to allow stuff like TRIM. But the RAID mode supports it too. You lose nothing by using RAID. Maybe a few seconds during cold boots but that it.

There's a simple reg fix for this, just google it.

safe mode and boot? Should i try it?

9 hours ago, Brian Lu said:

~snip~

Hey there :)

As @Naeaes suggested, RAID mode supports everything you need from AHCI. RAID modes on newer motherboards actually incorporate AHCI in themselves and thus there are some manufacturers that actually recommend working on RAID mode instead of AHCI regardless if you are working with a RAID array or not as the controller simply lists all drives as JBOD. :)

If everything is working fine I wouldn't bother changing modes or tweaking the registry. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/