Nothing on display when PC boots. Fans plugged into headers don't power on.

Go to solution Solved by Randomizer,
34 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

this is a quote from somewhere i found, i hope this can be of use. if its not, let me know and ill continue to try and help!!

Tried all of it, did some googling of my own, still can't figure it out but i think I'm just gonna upgrade/replace. I've been wanting to for a while anyway. Plus I have an excuse now so yeah. If you find out something or still want to try and figure it out feel free, but I don't want you spending more time on this than you need. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, seriously your awesome. :) Thanks again.

I was dusting my gaming PC today (Canned air) and after I went to boot it up nothing was showing up on my monitor, I also noticed that none of the fans where spinning. So I reseated the CPU, RAM, GPUs, and reconnected all the power cables. Not all at once, but over a series of attempts to get my PC to boot properly. Now, when I say the fans weren't spinning I mean the fans that are plugged directly into the motherboard via fan header weren't spinning (3 fans in separate headers), GPU fans spun up as well as the H100i all-in-one and its 2 fans. None of my peripherals power up ether. Also my motherboard (Asus Maximus VII Hero) has LEDs that glow through red transparent plastic on the PCB of the motherboard, now normally those don't glow until the PC is fully on (at least thats how I remember it working, I could be remembering things incorrectly) but after the dusting they stay on even when the PC is powered off. The only way to turn them off is to manually turn off the PSU. So I'm assuming I broke something and I need to replace either the motherboard or the CPU (Unless its something I don't know of and you might) but I don't know which one needs replacing. How do I determine this? Also, is this a hardware problem or is it something to do with the OS (Windows 10) I only ask this because before I powered it down to dust it a program had finished updating and needed the PC to restart, at the time I clicked "Not Now" then an hour or so I later shut down the pc forgetting that I needed to restart to complete the update (I don't know if this can cause an issue but I figured I should mention it) and went and dusted it. So did I zap something or crash my OS by shutting down and not restarting after an update. Or a combination of both :D! Pls Halp, thanks.

9 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

ok, first... do you get a post beep from your board?

Nope, no beeps for me. I press the power button, MB LEDs turn on, GPU and H100i fans spin up. Fans plugged into headers stay off as well as my peripherals and nothing shows up on monitors.

do you have a board speaker to allow you to hear the post beeps? if not, or even if so... have you tried reseating all of your parts? for example: try reseating your memory one stick at a time. taking them all out, then placing one in, then trying to boot. then, if that doesnt help, try taking that stick out, then placing the next one in...and so on and so forth.

33 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

do you have a board speaker to allow you to hear the post beeps? if not, or even if so... have you tried reseating all of your parts? for example: try reseating your memory one stick at a time. taking them all out, then placing one in, then trying to boot. then, if that doesnt help, try taking that stick out, then placing the next one in...and so on and so forth.

Yes, I have a board speaker, no beeps. Also the the little display one the motherboard is giving me a 00 Q code. Haven't looked up what that means yet. Yes, I basically rebuilt my system. Took the motherboard out of the case to make sure the standoffs where still in place. Completely reseated the CPU, new thermal paste obliviously, made sure the CPU block for the H100i was mounted correctly. I even tried to boot it out of the case. Still no beeps and nothing on monitors. Tried a lot with the RAM, tried 1stick in each slot (did that with 1 other RAM stick, I only have 2 4GB sticks) tried both in different channels, tried swapping places with the RAM, and still nothing. I also tried only using one of my GPUs, nothing, tried the other GPU still nothing. Tried a Different PCIE port, nothing. I've troubleshot it hardware wise, as best as I can and all I have is Q Code 00, which I haven't looked up the meaning yet because I forgot my motherboard had that feature but I'll be looking it up after I'm done typing this and update it as soon as possible if I figure out a fix.

5 minutes ago, Randomizer said:

Yes, I have a board speaker, no beeps. Also the the little display one the motherboard is giving me a 00 Q code. Haven't looked up what that means yet. Yes, I basically rebuilt my system. Took the motherboard out of the case to make sure the standoffs where still in place. Completely reseated the CPU, new thermal paste obliviously, made sure the CPU block for the H100i was mounted correctly. I even tried to boot it out of the case. Still no beeps and nothing on monitors. Tried a lot with the RAM, tried 1stick in each slot (did that with 1 other RAM stick, I only have 2 4GB sticks) tried both in different channels, tried swapping places with the RAM, and still nothing. I also tried only using one of my GPUs, nothing, tried the other GPU still nothing. Tried a Different PCIE port, nothing. I've troubleshot it hardware wise, as best as I can and all I have is Q Code 00, which I haven't looked up the meaning yet because I forgot my motherboard had that feature but I'll be looking it up after I'm done typing this and update it as soon as possible if I figure out a fix.

are you 100% positive that you have your 8 pin connector...connected???

1 minute ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

are you 100% positive that you have your 8 pin connector...connected???

Yeah, just tried reconnecting it twice, on both ends, where it plugs into the mother board and where it plugs into on the PSU. Could my PSU have died or something? I wouldn't imagine just the 8 pin would be faulty, but is it possible?

anything is possible, really. but we can try this: unplug all of your connectors, besides you cpu and cpu fan connector (your cpu connectors is another 8 pin connector, but its 4x4). then power it on and see if your code is still 00 q. i mean EVERY connector, including the front panel babies. it would also be ideal if you could remove the board from the case, but i don't think its detriment.

10 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

anything is possible, really. but we can try this: unplug all of your connectors, besides you cpu and cpu fan connector (your cpu connectors is another 8 pin connector, but its 4x4). then power it on and see if your code is still 00 q. i mean EVERY connector, including the front panel babies. it would also be ideal if you could remove the board from the case, but i don't think its detriment.

Still got 00, nothing plugged in except 24pin, cpu 8 pin and cpu fan, nothing else.

'I had a look about some other forums and found 2 bits of info that could be helpful: both are quoted.

Perform the following steps:
-Remove the power from the system and open the case
-Remove the graphics card from the PC
-Clear the CMOS settings (removing the battery from the motherboard for a few minutes will suffice)
-Attempt to boot the PC using the integrated graphics

If unsuccessful continue:
-Remove all RAM and test with one stick at a time
-Remove all RAM and attempt to boot the PC. Did you receive error beeps/codes
-Remove any PCI card installed (modem,nic,sound,etc)
-Disconnect drives (storage and optical)
-Inspect motherboard for damaged capacitors
-Test with another PSU

OR

Maximus IV Extreme: Error debug code 00: non boot [possible solution]
Hi. This morning I went to start up my mive just to realize that it wouldn't boot up. Error code was 00. I started by clearing cmos, swapping memory's, trying different memory's, nothing. Disconnected all cables attached, removed cpu from socket, memory's out, while the cr2032 battery was out. Left it out for about 15 minutes. Reseated cpu on the socket with it's original fan, started up... nothing, debug still was showing 00 code. I started to search on google for that problem, and get to see some cases that they had to return the mobo for a replacement.
After almost trying everything, I watched all the mobo switches, and pressed the Q-Reset switch, and right after that I changed the LN2 mode to off, and voilá, started up showing debug normal numbers and letters, and booted up right away. I want to share this because I also saw a member at asus forums that had to RMA his max. iv ext. around february because a problem almost equal to mine. Thank you, and hope it help's somebody. Cheers.

Sry for the long message, really hope this helped. Sucks having to take back parts..."

this is a quote from somewhere i found, i hope this can be of use. if its not, let me know and ill continue to try and help!!

34 minutes ago, NotSoAnonymoussChris said:

Tried all of it, did some googling of my own, still can't figure it out but i think I'm just gonna upgrade/replace. I've been wanting to for a while anyway. Plus I have an excuse now so yeah. If you find out something or still want to try and figure it out feel free, but I don't want you spending more time on this than you need. Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it, seriously your awesome. :) Thanks again.

NOOOOO problem man! That's what this lifestyle is really about: the excitement  of figuring out whats wrong (whether or not we do is another story XD), building our own, making it look awesome and helping eachother out. but most importantly, having fun while doing it. i know i do. im still going to see if i can recreate this issue myself, and find a fix. so don't forget about this forum here! you may here from me!