Need Help With Router

nuttysandwich

So I have Verizon Fios and I have to use the Fios router for TV and internet but the technician was able to setup my Asus Router for my Wireless because the Fios Router wifi sucks. So basically my setup is Fios router (Modem for internet + TV) --->Asus Router (Wifi).  I want to upgrade my Asus but i have to change the ip from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 or .3.1 and etc because the Fios router has to be 192.168.1.1. But how do I do that? Also is it possible to migrate my current wireless settings into the new router?

No you don't.

What do you mean upgrade the Asus?

You can change the IP at LAN -> IP address change it to 192.168.1.2

If by upgrade the asus you mean get a new router. Set  it up as new plug the Ethernet into the WAN or "internet" port on your new router and all your devices into the lan ports in the router than setup the new router with the instructions in the box.    FIOS BOX ---> New WiFi Router ---> Devices (wired&wireless) if you do it like this than you wont need to worry about IP settings as the new router should take care of that in its first time setup. 

The Cake is a Lie...

you will only have to have different subnets if you have NAT rules enabled on the lower router (+ turn DHCP and DNS on the lower router)

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

What are you looking for?

12 hours ago, Principis said:

No you don't.

What do you mean upgrade the Asus?

You can change the IP at LAN -> IP address change it to 192.168.1.2

So right now I have a Asus rtn56u n600, it was great when I got it a few years ago but now i want something stronger

10 hours ago, Patrickkd said:

If by upgrade the asus you mean get a new router. Set  it up as new plug the Ethernet into the WAN or "internet" port on your new router and all your devices into the lan ports in the router than setup the new router with the instructions in the box.    FIOS BOX ---> New WiFi Router ---> Devices (wired&wireless) if you do it like this than you wont need to worry about IP settings as the new router should take care of that in its first time setup. 

Set  it up as new plug the Ethernet into the WAN or "internet" port on your new router and all your devices into the lan ports in the router than setup the new router with the instructions in the box,

What?? please explain, my goal is to replace my Asus router because that's where my wireless is going, with a new router

12 hours ago, nuttysandwich said:

Set  it up as new plug the Ethernet into the WAN or "internet" port on your new router and all your devices into the lan ports in the router than setup the new router with the instructions in the box,

What?? please explain, my goal is to replace my Asus router because that's where my wireless is going, with a new router

So when you buy your new Router, simply remove your current ASUS router and hook up the new one.

Most modern routers are smart enough to see that your modem has 192.168.1.1 and will automagically set themselves as 192.168.2.1 or similar.

Worst case, if the new router doesn't do this, you can hook it up to a computer without hooking it up your modem and make changes to it.

Do so by logging in to http://192.168.0.1/ or http://192.168.1.1/ - It will depend on the router.

You best consult the manual that came with the router, or ... try the abysmal software CD they still include these days.

Once you're logged into the new router, you'll want to look for DHCP Server, usually under Setup, Advanced Setup, or possibly Services.

Change the IP from whatever it currently is to one that doesn't conflict with the Verizon Modem - 192.168.2.1 should work fine as you've suggested yourself.

If you let me know what new router model number you have or are getting, we'll get you some pictures... maybe.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)