Need Networking Guidance

Hello there, 

I'm new here;

I am currently doing an assignment  and i am a networking novice ; Honestly, im not even sure if i am in the correct page here.

I have been given a task to make a proposal for a SOHO(Small Office/Home Office) network. The company is an insurance company and has a financing officer, business manager, an administrator and 5 agents. Everyone in the company has a computer, but there are only three printers. Two printers are located in Business Manager office and Finance office. These computers and printers are not connected to any network at all.  This company occupies half of a small building in an office park where it has three small rooms, one pantry and two restrooms.

The objective is to make the users able to print and share their work within the company without using a USB pendrive.

The budget is about USD$ 3652.83

In my opinion, 

i would buy a NAS( QNAP TS-453 PRO (2GB RAM) ) and connect some or all of the printers here.

a Switch, router and modem.

I may install a Gigabit NIC( if there's enough money)

Some RJ 45(ethernet) cables to connect all of them together

This will be arranged in a Star Network Topology.

And a UPS for the NAS.

I am open for any recommendations, as i know almost nothing about networking.

I hope some of you guys may be able to help me.

Thanks, Have a Great Day.

Maybe there are some more stipulations to the assignment that I missed but all you need is a router with external storage inputs, wireless NICs for the printers, and external storage to plug into the router.

This could be done all with wireless AC speeds and 4TB of storage for under $500.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

A gigabyte NIC seems to be overkill, I would specify cat5e to the works and cat6 to the NAS/printer/router/modem as the crosstalk would be higher here. As for the router, you may want to use dual bands if they have guest or clients in the office often.  You might also want a UPS for the manager so they're not entirely in the dark if the lights go out. 

I'm not extremely familar with that NAS but I doubt it supports connecting 3 printers, so perhaps leave the 2 in their respective office and just connect the other printer to the switch. On a side note, maybe help set them up with a web gui or remote app for smartphones and tablets so they can print when AFK. 

5 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

Maybe there are some more stipulations to the assignment that I missed but all you need is a router with external storage inputs, wireless NICs for the printers, and external storage to plug into the router.

This could be done with 4TB of storage for under $500.

I agree, setting up file sharing in the office, shared printers, and adding some storage to some of the PCs with a simple backup program or script would be practically free(cost beinh the hdd and router, maybe the 8 port switch).  

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

1 minute ago, RedWulf said:

A gigabyte NIC seems to be overkill, I would specify cat5e to the works and cat6 to the NAS/printer/router/modem as the crosstalk would be higher here. As for the router, you may want to use dual bands if they have guest or clients in the office often.  You might also want a UPS for the manager so they're not entirely in the dark if the lights go out. 

I'm not extremely familar with that NAS but I doubt it supports connecting 3 printers, so perhaps leave the 2 in their respective office and just connect the other printer to the switch. On a side note, maybe help set them up with a web gui or remote app for smartphones and tablets so they can print when AFK. 

I agree, setting up file sharing in the office, shared printers, and adding some storage to some of the PCs with a simple backup program or script would be practically free(cost beinh the hdd and router, maybe the 8 port switch).  

You wouldn't even need to add more storage to the PC's, just plug the 4TB HDD right up to the router and anyone on the network can access it.

- ASUS X99 Deluxe - i7 5820k - Nvidia GTX 1080ti SLi - 4x4GB EVGA SSC 2800mhz DDR4 - Samsung SM951 500 - 2x Samsung 850 EVO 512 -

- EK Supremacy EVO CPU Block - EK FC 1080 GPU Blocks - EK XRES 100 DDC - EK Coolstream XE 360 - EK Coolstream XE 240 -

2 minutes ago, TidaLWaveZ said:

You wouldn't even need to add more storage to the PC's, just plug the 4TB HDD right up to the router and anyone on the network can access it.

My only objection to that is that the router might bottle neck the speeds of 5 people reading/writing, although depending on the various needs or if its just scheduled back ups a usb3.0 would work.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[i7-7700k@5Ghz | MSI Z270 M7 | 16GB 3000 GEIL EVOX | STRIX ROG 1060 OC 6G | EVGA G2 650W | ROSEWILL B2 SPIRIT | SANDISK 256GB M2 | 4x 1TB Seagate Barracudas RAID 10 ]

[i3-4360 | mini-itx potato | 4gb DDR3-1600 | 8tb wd red | 250gb seagate| Debian 9 ]

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567] 

http://www.techhive.com/article/2991380/home-networking/asus-gamer-centric-rt-ac88u-packs-more-ethernet-ports-than-any-other-80211ac-router.html

This might actually be all you need

Has high speed ports, high speed band for office wifi, dual band for clients, usb3.0 for storage, and 2.0 for the printer.

_/ V\
                  / /  /
                <<    |
                ,/    ]
              ,/      ]
            ,/        |
           /    \  \ /
          /      | | |
    ______|   __/_/| |
   /_______\______}\__}  

Spoiler

[Dell Inspiron 15 5567]