Servers on 4G?

DeletedAccount

I was thinking of using a 4G router as a backup internet connection to my servers. They are game and file storage servers and i was wondering whether this would actually be a sensible idea. As long as i could find a good Unlimited (No FUP) data plan i guess it could be feasible, but i have never tested the reliability of servers over a 4G connection before.

Thanks,

!Visit my blog HERE!

Latest Post: How to give back for free this Christmas

You normally won't get a public IPv4 address from a cellular connection - you might get a public IPv6 address but the IPv4 address will definitely be a private address they NAT along with every other user on the network. Some cellular carriers can give you a public IPv4 address, maybe even a static one, if you are willing to pay extra. This service is meant for people in rural areas who are using 4G as their primary internet.

Edit: and even if you manage to get a public IPv4 address, you may not be allowed to host servers, and they may block the most common server ports. You would have to ask when asking about pricing. The best thing to do is call sales for a company and ask if they have presales technicians available that you can talk to. If they don't ask to be transfered to normal technical support.

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

1 hour ago, brwainer said:

You normally won't get a public IPv4 address from a cellular connection - you might get a public IPv6 address but the IPv4 address will definitely be a private address they NAT along with every other user on the network. Some cellular carriers can give you a public IPv4 address, maybe even a static one, if you are willing to pay extra. This service is meant for people in rural areas who are using 4G as their primary internet.

Edit: and even if you manage to get a public IPv4 address, you may not be allowed to host servers, and they may block the most common server ports. You would have to ask when asking about pricing. The best thing to do is call sales for a company and ask if they have presales technicians available that you can talk to. If they don't ask to be transfered to normal technical support.

Thanks for the info.

My network is flexible enough to run on IPv6.. and the only reason i expected all ports to be unblocked is because in the UK there are many companies that offer faster services than normal broadband can provide.

!Visit my blog HERE!

Latest Post: How to give back for free this Christmas