CPU Choice

Hey there!

Im struggling to pick a CPU. Im between an i5-6600k, and an i7-6700k.

I mostly do programming (Android Studio, Visual Studio, etc), I sometimes use virtualmachines, and I want it to be future proof (at least 2-3 years without any updates). I stay long periods of time on my pc, so it should be able to handle that well too. I don't do much gaming, because I dont currently have a dedicated graphics card. Now that I'm buying one I will most likely start playing a few titles (TitanFall, Battlefield 3, maybe Battlefield 4). Are the extra $130 worth it on the i7? Like, do I trully need the extra features like hyperthreading, for example?

Thanks everyone

EDIT: I will also do some Photoshop and Illustrator editing

Edited by JuanL

1 minute ago, JuanL said:

Hey there!

Im struggling to pick a CPU. Im between an i5-6600k, and an i7-6700k.

I mostly do programming (Android Studio, Visual Studio, etc), I sometimes use virtualmachines, and I want it to be future proof (at least 2-3 years without any updates). I stay long periods of time on my pc, so it should be able to handle that well too. I don't do much gaming, because I dont currently have a dedicated graphics card. Now that I'm buying one I will most likely start playing a few titles (TitanFall, Battlefield 3, maybe Battlefield 4). Are the extra $130 worth it on the i7? Like, do I trully need the extra features like hyperthreading, for example?

Thanks everyone

Based on your particular usage, I would recommend the i7. It has hyperthreading technology perfect for the applications that you've stated. Furthermore, the i7 has a higher clock speed right off the bat (stock settings) and it will truly benefit you. 

The 6700k will be good for you

Novus Anima

CPU - 4670K @ 4.2 GHz | Motherboard - ASUS Z97-PRO | CPU Cooler - Corsair H105 

RAM - Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) | GPU - EVGA GTX 1060 SSC  

Storage - Samsung M.2 64GB SSD, PNY 240GB SSD , WD 1TB Caviar Blue, WD 500GB HDD

PSU - EVGA 650W G2 | Peripherals - Logitech G710, Logitech G602 

Laptops

MacBook Pro Mid-2011 

Surface Pro 3

You can also get an Xeon E3. It costs a bit more/almost same as i5, has similar clockspeeds to i5, but has HyperThreading.

You can't overclock it, but it will give you that HyperThreading for improved multi-core stuff for lower price than an i7.

1 minute ago, Vercii said:

The 6700k will be good for you

2 minutes ago, VaynardX said:

Based on your particular usage, I would recommend the i7. It has hyperthreading technology perfect for the applications that you've stated. Furthermore, the i7 has a higher clock speed right off the bat (stock settings) and it will truly benefit you. 

Thank you guys. Will wait for some more answers, but I might just stick to the i7

1 minute ago, 167776_1454180910 said:

You can also get an Xeon E3. It costs a bit more/almost same as i5, has similar clockspeeds as i5, but has HyperThreading.

You can't overclock it, but it will give you that HyperThreading for improved multi-core stuff for lower price than an i7.

I have a Xeon E3-1231 v3 and I love it. Perfect performance, probably right in the middle of the i5 and the i7. Its at $250 and one of the best price/performance. Still, any of these choices should give you a solid experience.

Current Rig - CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 GPU: AMD RX480 8GB RAM: 16GB PNY DDR3 Storage: ADATA 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate HDD OS: Windows 10 Pro

YouTube Tech Channel - Tech House

the Xeon was a good alternative to either "i" series chips, but I agree with the others, the i7 sounds like it's the one for you. Have one and its a wicked chip, my mobo easy overclocking program OC's it to 4.6ghz, but i imagine it could do more. If overclocking interest you...

2 minutes ago, JimmyGuilbault said:

I have a Xeon E3-1231 v3 and I love it. Perfect performance, probably right in the middle of the i5 and the i7. Its at $250 and one of the best price/performance. Still, any of these choices should give you a solid experience.

I will probably stick to the Core line, but another question tho... How good does your GPU do in games like the ones mentioned above, or in applications like Photoshop, or maybe virtial machines? Thanks

If the i7 makes you sacrifice somethinf else in your build like a gpu, don't buy it but if you have the money you should buy it. 

1 minute ago, JuanL said:

I will probably stick to the Core line, but another question tho... How good does your GPU do in games like the ones mentioned above, or in applications like Photoshop, or maybe virtial machines? Thanks

I'd go with the i7 then. As for the GPU, the GTX960 works very well in Photoshop and Illustrator, I rarely see any lag in those two programs. Even with a really detailed document in Illustrator, with 100s of layers it still handles it like a beast. For games, I've only played Battlefield 4 and at 1080p you can almost max out the settings and stay above 60fps.

Current Rig - CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231v3 GPU: AMD RX480 8GB RAM: 16GB PNY DDR3 Storage: ADATA 120GB SSD 1TB Seagate HDD OS: Windows 10 Pro

YouTube Tech Channel - Tech House