MSI R9 380 Fans stop working intermittently - even under heavy load

Crushercroc
Go to solution Solved by GER_T4IGA,
9 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

I would RMA the card if I was you, that shouldn't be happening. 

Your right.

I wouldn't bother fiddling with a GPU that was damage upon purchase. Just RMA that babe. None of what you are saying should happening. After it shut down for the first time you should have known something is terribly wrong. 

I guess changing the PSU and other things just rested the problem causing it. It. Doesn't seem to appear instantly but if you shout down to change something. And then it is fixed for a little time it might lead to thinking you caused the fix even though this could be coincidence. 

I am not saying you didn't do anything but I am suggesting that things sometimes can lead to wrong conclusions. 

RMA immediately. Period. 

Hello everyone,

I recently built my first computer, with an MSI R9 380 in it. Several days after I finished the build, the fans stopped spinning and my computer shut down mid-gaming because the GPU got too hot. After switching the PSU leads to the GPU the fans started to work normally. About a week later one fan stopped spinning, and then the other stopped later that day. Switching the PSU leads didn't work this time, so I re-seated the GPU and that seemed to fix it. But about a week later (yesterday), they have stopped spinning again. Unseating and reseating the card as well as removing and replacing the PSU leads has fixed it again. And now today, one of the fans has stopped spinning and both MSI Afterburner and the Radeon Control Panel do not display any fan controls. I don't think it's a power issue because there have been no problems with the display output, only the fans themselves.

I would like to prevent this from happening in the future. Any ideas what's wrong here? I'm using Crimson 15.30 drivers on Windows 10, if it matters.

6 minutes ago, Crushercroc said:

Hello everyone,

I recently built my first computer, with an MSI R9 380 in it. Several days after I finished the build, the fans stopped spinning and my computer shut down mid-gaming because the GPU got too hot. After switching the PSU leads to the GPU the fans started to work normally. About a week later one fan stopped spinning, and then the other stopped later that day. Switching the PSU leads didn't work this time, so I re-seated the GPU and that seemed to fix it. But about a week later (yesterday), they have stopped spinning again. Unseating and reseating the card as well as removing and replacing the PSU leads has fixed it again. And now today, one of the fans has stopped spinning and both MSI Afterburner and the Radeon Control Panel do not display any fan controls. I don't think it's a power issue because there have been no problems with the display output, only the fans themselves.

I would like to prevent this from happening in the future. Any ideas what's wrong here? I'm using Crimson 15.30 drivers on Windows 10, if it matters.

R9 5900X | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | ASUS Crosshair VIII DarkHero | EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 | 2x 1TB WD Black SN850 | Lian Li O11D-XL | Corsair AX1200i

9 minutes ago, Mattyp92 said:

Your right.

I wouldn't bother fiddling with a GPU that was damage upon purchase. Just RMA that babe. None of what you are saying should happening. After it shut down for the first time you should have known something is terribly wrong. 

I guess changing the PSU and other things just rested the problem causing it. It. Doesn't seem to appear instantly but if you shout down to change something. And then it is fixed for a little time it might lead to thinking you caused the fix even though this could be coincidence. 

I am not saying you didn't do anything but I am suggesting that things sometimes can lead to wrong conclusions. 

RMA immediately. Period. 

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/334934-unofficial-ltt-beginners-guide/ (by Minibois) and a few things that will make our community interaction more pleasent:
1. FOLLOW your own topics                                                                                2.Try to QUOTE people so we can read through things easier
3.Use
PCPARTPICKER.COM - easy and most importantly approved here        4.Mark your topics SOLVED if they are                                
Don't change a running system

Thanks for your advice everyone. I'm going to RMA the card ASAP.