Microstuttering in games and windows

(I don't know which forum to put this)

Hi! I've got terrible microstuttering in games and I have no idea how to fix it.

It all started last summer, when I got this PC, I didn't build it myself.

I downloaded steam and CS:GO, was going to try the PC, how much FPS compared to the older one etc, it was a big difference.

So anyways, after a little while I started to experience small 1 millisecond lags which I didn't care about that much, now it's started to become more and more of a problem, I recently, like 1 week ago, replaced a stock CPU cooler and RAM.

My current specs are:

• Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • Intel Core i7 930 2.80GHz
  • 4x 4GB Crucial DDR3 CL9 1600MHz
  • Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. X58A-UD3R (1366 Socket)
  • 2GB Geforce GTX 660 Ti (3 Monitors plugged in, one 144hz, one 75Hz and one 60Hz)
  • 7 (Yes, 7) HDDs 2TB each
  • 1SSD 128GB

I have money for upgrading almost about anything, but the CPU and motherboard.

~A worried gamer, aka StickaN

I think your 660 Ti is your weakest link here, especially trying to push 144 frames at any high fidelity. If it was working for you before maybe try just pushing one screen at a time, monitor you temps and make sure you are not hitting thermal thresholds causing the card to reef back clock speed(if so try cleaning your card) goes for the cpu as well as you said you changed the cooler. Even check that the ram is using the correct profile in the bios. Even if you have the old ram try switching that back first as the cooler will take longer but you should see that in the CPU temps.  

3 minutes ago, pugz said:

I think your 660 Ti is your weakest link here, especially trying to push 144 frames at any high fidelity. If it was working for you before maybe try just pushing one screen at a time, monitor you temps and make sure you are not hitting thermal thresholds causing the card to reef back clock speed(if so try cleaning your card) goes for the cpu as well as you said you changed the cooler. Even check that the ram is using the correct profile in the bios. Even if you have the old ram try switching that back first as the cooler will take longer but you should see that in the CPU temps.  

That's what I thought of my graphics card, that that's the thing causing the lag. I can make about 200 FPS on CS:GO and pretty much any other game. 2 days ago I tried with only one monitor and it didn't work, temp are never over 70 degrees now on CPU, and just did a Unigine Heaven test, got about 70 degrees max on my GPU. The ram is using the correct profile.

Thanks for the reply.

7 minutes ago, StickaN said:

That's what I thought of my graphics card, that that's the thing causing the lag. I can make about 200 FPS on CS:GO and pretty much any other game. 2 days ago I tried with only one monitor and it didn't work, temp are never over 70 degrees now on CPU, and just did a Unigine Heaven test, got about 70 degrees max on my GPU. The ram is using the correct profile.

Thanks for the reply.

No worries. Did the Unigine test display any of the same microstuttering effect like in game play? Have you changed drivers as well. I haven't played CS:GO so i can't recommend as particular driver set as sometimes updating to the newest is not the best solution.   

Just now, pugz said:

No worries. Did the Unigine test display any of the same microstuttering effect like in game play? Have you changed drivers as well. I haven't played CS:GO so i can't recommend as particular driver set as sometimes updating to the newest is not the best solution.   

It did, not just as much, but I had nothing else open then the Test and Speccy. And yes, I've updated the drivers.

1 minute ago, StickaN said:

It did, not just as much, but I had nothing else open then the Test and Speccy. And yes, I've updated the drivers.

I'd try reverting the drivers first, even selecting the "clean install" option. Just make sure to backup and custom NVIDIA profiles you may have created. I currently run 352.86 just so i can play witcher 3 without crashing as if I use latest driver 364.51 it crashes in ten minutes. 

3 minutes ago, pugz said:

I'd try reverting the drivers first, even selecting the "clean install" option. Just make sure to backup and custom NVIDIA profiles you may have created. I currently run 352.86 just so i can play witcher 3 without crashing as if I use latest driver 364.51 it crashes in ten minutes. 

I always do a clean install.