CPU cooler upgrade

lm212

I currently have a Cooler Master Hyper 212X and I was wondering if it was worth the upgrade to get an aio.

I want to get one to make the look of my system better but if I was to see little to no performance gain then I wouldn't consider the upgrade.

My Cpu is a i5 4690k and my budget is $150 AUD so can you recommend an aio for that price.

Thanks.

welcome to the Linus Tech Tips forums!

depending on your case, the 240/280 AIO is an improvement on loaded usages. otherwise spending on a higher-end HSF might knock the loaded temps down marginally.

the thing that usually comes up is the AIO fans are particularly loud under load. this can be remedied by slowing the fans down (warmer temps) or quieter fans (possible warmer temps).

so if you can bare with a noisier build the 240/280 AIO is your choice. if not, look to a better fan (maybe x2) for the 212x.

Thanks for that. I looking for a quieter cooler but I was more worried about temps. I assumed mosts water coolers were quieter due to the fact that you can run them at lower RPM. My current overclock is 4.2Ghz on 1.235V. Could I get much further with an aio?

If I do look for a better fan(s) for the 212x what would you recommend. Noctua?

the 240 AIO kits would be the ones to price/budget for.

ive got a h100i with stock fans and under 100% load can be loud.

changed the fans to the rosewill hyperborea and have the same loaded temperatures, just a lot less noise.

but adding more fans raises the price budget.

as to how much is left in overclocking, that is not something that can be rattled off. the silicon lottery can be evil or great.

at 1.375v i have 4.7GHz and 82° loaded (a=24°) on my 4690k. but that took four chips to find this one that would overclock decently and have a low thermal footprint under load. the others took more voltage and were a lot warmer in temps to consider them successful. 100% crapshoot.

3 hours ago, airdeano said:

the 240 AIO kits would be the ones to price/budget for.

ive got a h100i with stock fans and under 100% load can be loud.

changed the fans to the rosewill hyperborea and have the same loaded temperatures, just a lot less noise.

but adding more fans raises the price budget.

as to how much is left in overclocking, that is not something that can be rattled off. the silicon lottery can be evil or great.

at 1.375v i have 4.7GHz and 82° loaded (a=24°) on my 4690k. but that took four chips to find this one that would overclock decently and have a low thermal footprint under load. the others took more voltage and were a lot warmer in temps to consider them successful. 100% crapshoot.

Thanks for your advice. I think i will get an aio. Most likely a Cooler Master Nepton 240m or h100i if i have the budget for it.

the cm240m is a fine unit. here in the states, they will go on sale somewhere at least once a month..