SSD + HDD setup need help

Firestrike
Go to solution Solved by TrifectaIII,
1 hour ago, Firestrike said:

Additionnal info : if I remove the 1st pinned shortcut and pin it back using the duplicated icon, it still makes another icon next to it.

Ok, so interestingly I just remembered that I had this exact issue on my old laptop running Windows 8, and that the only thing that changed it was installing 8.1 when it came out. So my guess is that a reinstall might help. I tried to find a setting for this on my current windows 10 install, but like you was unable to find anything.

What is interesting is that I'd actually like to have it work the way it works for you, I'd rather have them work like static shortcuts rather than how they currently work for me. If you do find the setting, message me or something lol.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help especially since this is something that I have experienced. Wish I could do more.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to have help with my Windows 10 installation. I recently installed Windows on a new SSD, and I was using a HDD until now.

Right now I'm trying to resolve an issue where my programs pinned in the taskbar duplicate when I open them (even Firefox, so not normal).

In another thread, someone told me it was a thing in the settings that I had to set to resolve the problem, but I can't find it

Can someone help me ?

Thanks !

The issue :

1d94950242.jpg

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

|| Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core || Keyboard - Corsair K70 (MX Red) ||

Assuming you still have the HDD attached and with all it's old files on it, maybe the taskbar items are opening both the executable on your SSD and HDD at the same time? (I don't actually know how the taskbar pinned things work). Try deleting the programs on your HDD?

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

3 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

Assuming you still have the HDD attached and with all it's old files on it, maybe the taskbar items are opening both the executable on your SSD and HDD at the same time? (I don't actually know how the taskbar pinned things work). Try deleting the programs on your HDD?

My Barracuda is still connected, and my programs are actually only installed on it, not on the SSD (not enough space for that).

When I use these shortcuts, another one appears on the right, and then if I use it again on Firefox for example, another windows appears and they stack...

I'd really like to make it work, the SSD is blazing fast but like I said I can't put everything on it.

|| CPU - i7 4790K @4.6GHz || GPU - MSI GTX 980 Gaming 4G || Motherboard - Asus Z97-A || RAM - 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury @1866MHz |Case Be quiet! Silent Base 800 ||

|| CPU Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO || Storage - Samsung 850 Pro 256GB & Seagate Barracuda 2TB (+ WD Caviar Green 2TB) ||

Wait so, are you actually getting two windows of the program, or is just the icon duplicating? And if it's just the icon, does closing the program window leave you back with 1 icon only?

Core i5 6600k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Windforce | MSI Z170 Krait Gaming Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB DDR4 2400 | NZXT S340 Red                                              EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 | Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo | Razer Blackwidow Tournament | Logitech G600 Razer Kraken USB                                                                                                            If you want me to see your post, please remember to quote me!

5 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

Wait so, are you actually getting two windows of the program, or is just the icon duplicating? And if it's just the icon, does closing the program window leave you back with 1 icon only?

Both. First the icon duplicates itself in the taskbar, and then when I click a second time on the 1st shortcut, not the one that's actually opened, I get a new window (for Firefox), or it just redirects me to the other shortcut (for Discord), the one I don't want/the second one.

When I close the program, the duplicated shortcut disappears, and the icon I actually pinned stays the same, so yeah I'm left with one icon only.

5 minutes ago, Firestrike said:

Both. First the icon duplicates itself in the taskbar, and then when I click a second time on the 1st shortcut, not the one that's actually opened, I get a new window (for Firefox), or it just redirects me to the other shortcut (for Discord), the one I don't want/the second one.

When I close the program, the duplicated shortcut disappears, and the icon I actually pinned stays the same.

Wait what do you mean it's redirecting you? Like, you click on the pinned firefox and it opens another program?

EDIT: Oh wait I get what you're saying. So the firefox one acts like a shortcut on the desktop would by just always opening a "new" windows with it's own icon, and Discord just sends you to the same 1st window like a shortcut for a program that can't have multiple instances open at a time. 

If you have shortcuts for these programs on your desktop, do they act in the same way? (ie cant have more than 1 instance of discord running)

Just now, TrifectaIII said:

Wait what do you mean it's redirecting you? Like, you click on the pinned firefox and it opens another program?

When I click on Discord (blue and white icon) the 1st time, it opens the program but with the duplicate icon, and then when I click a second time on Discord (1st shortcut, the one I pinned, which is not highlighted), it shows me the window of the duplicated icon (the one I don't want)

For Firefox it's different. Each time I click on the shortcut I pinned, it opens me a new window with the duplicated icon.

So:

F : Firefox I don't want

D : Discord I don't want

F : Firefox I want

D : Discord I want

... : other programs

1)

... D F : I click on Firefox

|

v

2)

... D F F : Another one opens with the window

|

v

3)

... D F F : I click on F again

|

v

4)

... D F F : Another window opens in F

For Discord now :

1)

... D F : I click on Discord

|

v

2)

... D F D : Another one opens with the window

|

v

3)

... D F D : I click on D again

|

v

4)

... D F D : Shows me the window in D

2 minutes ago, Firestrike said:

When I click on Discord (blue and white icon) the 1st time, it opens the program but with the duplicate icon, and then when I click a second time on Discord (1st shortcut, the one I pinned, which is not highlighted), it shows me the window of the duplicated icon (the one I don't want)

For Firefox it's different. Each time I click on the shortcut I pinned, it opens me a new window with the duplicated icon.

Yes I understand now. So again, they are acting like shortcuts rather than as pinned items like they should. What I want you to try is using shortcuts on your desktop instead and seeing if both of these programs act in the same way, i.e. if you have a regular desktop icon for discord, can you use that to open more than one window, or will it keep simply bringing the first window to the front?

18 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

Yes I understand now. So again, they are acting like shortcuts rather than as pinned items like they should. What I want you to try is using shortcuts on your desktop instead and seeing if both of these programs act in the same way, i.e. if you have a regular desktop icon for discord, can you use that to open more than one window, or will it keep simply bringing the first window to the front?

When I use a Desktop shortcut, it does the same as when I use the pinned icon and it keeps simply bringing the first window to the front.

23 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

Additionnal info : if I remove the 1st pinned shortcut and pin it back using the duplicated icon, it still makes another icon next to it.

1 hour ago, Firestrike said:

Ok, so interestingly I just remembered that I had this exact issue on my old laptop running Windows 8, and that the only thing that changed it was installing 8.1 when it came out. So my guess is that a reinstall might help. I tried to find a setting for this on my current windows 10 install, but like you was unable to find anything.

What is interesting is that I'd actually like to have it work the way it works for you, I'd rather have them work like static shortcuts rather than how they currently work for me. If you do find the setting, message me or something lol.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help especially since this is something that I have experienced. Wish I could do more.

22 minutes ago, TrifectaIII said:

Now that you mention reinstalling, I remember I set up my USB drive with my MacBook Air, that may have caused some problems, would be stange though, because the installation went perfectly fine.

Oh well, better now than later anyway, I'll try that and tell you if it worked or not.

I'll download the ISO again just to be sure, and set it up on this machine.

15 hours ago, TrifectaIII said:

IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (etc...)

Thank you so much !