About Networking In general

PyroBlast13

So recently I have been wondering if it is time to get a new router for the one I get from my isp is not the best, but when I  went to go find videos and information on the subject I just couldn't find anything really helpful, I am also wondering on how to add a switch to my network so I can get more than the 4 ethernet ports on most routers. One of the questions I have is if I buy a Router from the store is it also a modem? i'm not sure that's  why Im asking for like a good video to watch or a website that would tell me what I need to know. 

A modem takes the coaxial cable from your ISP and turns it into "Ethernet" A modem is different from a router but they have modem/router combo units. 

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Just now, TheGeeker said:

A modem takes the coaxial cable from your ISP and turns it into "Ethernet" A modem is different from a router but they have modem/router combo units. 

Where would this modem be?

2 minutes ago, PyroBlast13 said:

Where would this modem be?

dlink_dcm201.gif The modem has a COAX cable in it. This is Internet into your house.  

COAX:

MainCoaxialAssemblies.jpg

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

dlink_dcm201.gif The modem has a COAX cable in it. This is Internet into your house.  

COAX:

MainCoaxialAssemblies.jpg

Alright well for me I have one Ethernet wire coming out of my wall which then goes into the Router my isp gives me ive never seen a separate box or any coax cable, so im kind of confused now.

Just now, PyroBlast13 said:

Alright well for me I have one Ethernet wire coming out of my wall which then goes into the Router my isp gives me ive never seen a separate box or any coax cable, so im kind of confused now.

Ok so. Your desk has an ethernet cable coming to your pc right? 

Ok so. Your desk has an ethernet cable coming to your pc right? 

So how it goes is one ethernet wire comes from my wall and into the router from there another ethernet wire comes from one of the 4 plugs on the router and into my pc and other devices.

So how it goes is one ethernet wire comes from my wall and into the router from there another ethernet wire comes from one of the 4 plugs on the router and into my pc and other devices.

CU2Tg.png

So what you are looking at is the switch. BTW Do you do your own networking or are you in a dorm or something? The ethernet from the wall should lead back to a router or modem/router combo with a COAX cable going out to your ISP

CU2Tg.png

So what you are looking at is the switch. BTW Do you do your own networking or are you in a dorm or something? The ethernet from the wall should lead back to a router or modem/router combo with a COAX cable going out to your ISP

No i'm at my house and no AT&t did all of the installation.

1 minute ago, PyroBlast13 said:

No i'm at my house and no AT&t did all of the installation.

So what was your original goal? GO hunting. Look in all the closets of your house till you find networking shit in a pile. You need to have one in your house it just works that way

So what was your original goal? GO hunting. Look in all the closets of your house till you find networking shit in a pile. You need to have one in your house it just works that way

well my original goal is to hopefully find out if I can get a better router and also get a switch to get more ethernet ports, also out of the three closets in the house only one has a panel in it and all it stores is the glass house fuse's for the power, is it possible that the modem is not inside the house like could it be on a wall on the side or under my house? 

well my original goal is to hopefully find out if I can get a better router and also get a switch to get more ethernet ports, also out of the three closets in the house only one has a panel in it and all it stores is the glass house fuse's for the power, is it possible that the modem is not inside the house like could it be on a wall on the side or under my house? 

Could be on a wall but not on the outside no. If you just want more ports either see if your PC works with just the cable from the wall and if it does, that means youe modem is a combo router. 

IF IT WORKS:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SG108-8-Port-1000Mbps-Desktop/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1456542312&sr=8-4&keywords=gigabit+switch

I use this

IF NOT!

Just run a cable from your router to this thing and done Lol.

not all modems have coax

where i am located i have adsl internet that connects through a phone line. are you sure the line from your wall is ethernet

If you think all console gamers are "console peasants" then you dont belong to the pc master race

but the fan boys on the other hand...

Just now, BudgetForNow said:

not all modems have coax

where i am located i have adsl internet that connects through a phone line. are you sure the line from your wall is ethernet

um not sure let me check.

1 minute ago, PyroBlast13 said:

um not sure let me check.

Like:

rj11-45.gif

met_img_rj11rj45.jpg

1 minute ago, BudgetForNow said:

not all modems have coax

Same, the lines on the telephone poles are fiber and then cat5 from the pole to my house.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

They can go Cat5 from the pole? 

xu6mi.jpg

Yep its phone line. But then what would I have to do to get a new router? don't normal routers not use phone line for input? 

Yep its phone line. But then what would I have to do to get a new router? don't normal routers not use phone line for input? 

Easy:

Just get a switch and plug it into one port on your existing stuff and be done lol

Easy:

Just get a switch and plug it into one port on your existing stuff and be done lol

but the wifi sucks on this router would I then have to get range boosters?

but the wifi sucks on this router would I then have to get range boosters?

Then get something like this'

http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-N600-Wi-Fi-Router-WNDR3400/dp/B0041LYY6K/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1456543118&sr=1-4&keywords=wifi+router

1 hour ago, TheGeeker said:

-snip-

Phone lines typically are the same cables used for Ethernet, just not all of the wires are used. I should also mention that goes underground from the pole to my house which is roughly 200ft.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz