Building a file sever.

Im looking for some good but will not brake the bank sever parts.

What will be stored on the server? What's your budget? Will you ever do anything other than simple file storage? Who/how many users will be accessing it? Do you want RAID -- how important is the data? What OS did you want to use -- FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Unraid, Windows 2012, Linux, FreeBSD? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Just get the cheapest system you can and slap two hdd in it and DONE! (cheap and kinda unreliable.)

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

I would not spend the cash on ECC if you want get an old server or a prebuilt server from somewhere like servermonkey.com for like 50-80$

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean other others don't. Don't be a self-centered asshole. -Thank You a PSA from the people who do not say random shit on the internet. 

Refurbished Dell PowerEdge 850 G1 2-Port (Configure to Order)

Chassis:
1 x Dell PowerEdge 850 G1 2-Port Chassis $20
Select Your CPU - Option #1:
1 x 3.0 GHz Dual-Core Intel Pentium D Processor with 2MB Cache -- 830 $10
Upgrade Your Memory:
1 x 4GB PC2-5300 NON-ECC UDIMM $30
Choose Your Hard Drive RAID controller:
1 x No RAID $0
Choose Your RAID Level:
1 x No RAID Installation $0
Add a Hard Drive — Option #1:
1 x 250GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5" Hard Drive $5
Add a Hard Drive — Option #2:
1 x 250GB 7.2K RPM SATA 3.5" Hard Drive $5
Would you like to add an Optical Drive?
1 x No Optical Drive $0
Would you like to add a Bezel?
1 x No Bezel $0
Would you like to add Rails?
1 x No Rails $0
Would You Like to Upgrade Your Warranty?
1 x 1 Year ServerMonkey Warranty (Included) $0

70$

2 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

What will be stored on the server? What's your budget? Will you ever do anything other than simple file storage? Who/how many users will be accessing it? Do you want RAID -- how important is the data? What OS did you want to use -- FreeNAS, Nas4Free, Unraid, Windows 2012, Linux, FreeBSD? 

I have 3tb of date i'v downloaded over the years and plan to have more.

il be buying it part by part so the budget wont mater, not sure if il do anything else on it right now, il be the only one at the moment using it, yes i have a lot of family pics etc. that will be on it, and finally what ever is easy to use. 

24 minutes ago, DrBIG47 said:

I have 3tb of date i'v downloaded over the years and plan to have more.

il be buying it part by part so the budget wont mater, not sure if il do anything else on it right now, il be the only one at the moment using it, yes i have a lot of family pics etc. that will be on it, and finally what ever is easy to use. 

Have you considered a simple two bay synology or western digital nas with two 4tb drives? That sounds like it would be perfect for your needs.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i did not think about that, thank you.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Have you considered a simple two bay synology or western digital nas with two 4tb drives? That sounds like it would be perfect for your needs.