Same Hard drive for dif pc?

HighRez

Hello everyone :)

I'm going to be building a pc soon, and was woundering about something. I'm planning on using my old 500 gb hard drive, in which case I'm wondering, would it be better for me to reinstall everything? Or because of diffrent hardware would it make a diffrence? The 2 pcs will have VERY diffrent compponents, as the one I'm building will have a i5 4460/R9 390, and the old one has... I don't even know. Top of the line from 4 years ago? xD 

As long as you remember to install drivers yes. It should work fine.

You can use the old hard drive, but you will need to reinstall windows and you will most likely need a new windows key.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

3 minutes ago, Sportiva said:

You can use the old hard drive, but you will need to reinstall windows and you will most likely need a new windows key.

Why would I need a new Windows key?

I have used a win 7 install on socket 939, z97,  x79 and z77 and it worked OK. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

In order to use the same hard drive, I recommend totally wiping to drive before installing it in the same computer. This is because the more data on a drive (even if it is marked as "rewritable" by the HDD) can really slow the drive.

you will need a full Windows key, as well as a new install media.

Just now, HighRez said:

Why would I need a new Windows key?

Sometimes the key is bound to the motherboard. You could always try it first before buying a key.

CPU: i5 6600k OCed to 4.5Ghz @ 1.35v, GPU: R9 390 Nitro, Motherboard: Asus z170-A, CPU Cooler: H100i GTX, RAM: HyperX 2x8 16gb DDR4, PSU: Seasonic x650, Storage: 850 EVO 500gb, WD 1tb blue, Case: H440 White/Black

3 hours ago, MagnesiumPC said:

In order to use the same hard drive, I recommend totally wiping to drive before installing it in the same computer. This is because the more data on a drive (even if it is marked as "rewritable" by the HDD) can really slow the drive.

Really? Why a new windows key though? IMO if you buy something you shouldn't have to buy it again.

1 minute ago, iron768 said:

Really? Why a new windows key though? IMO if you buy something you shouldn't have to buy it again.

Its to prevent pirating and using the same key on multiple computers.Installs 

Edited by Sportiva

Just now, iron768 said:

Tell that to Microsoft.

Your Windows key is permanently tied to your Motherboard.

2 minutes ago, MagnesiumPC said:

Alright. How would I "totally wipe" it? 
And as for the key, I guess we will just have to see. 

Just now, HighRez said:

Alright. How would I "totally wipe" it? 
And as for the key, I guess we will just have to see. 

Create a DBAN image and boot from it.

http://www.dban.org/download

19 minutes ago, HighRez said:

Hello everyone :)

I'm going to be building a pc soon, and was woundering about something. I'm planning on using my old 500 gb hard drive, in which case I'm wondering, would it be better for me to reinstall everything? Or because of diffrent hardware would it make a diffrence? The 2 pcs will have VERY diffrent compponents, as the one I'm building will have a i5 4460/R9 390, and the old one has... I don't even know. Top of the line from 4 years ago? xD 

Depends on the Hard Drive. Is the OLD HDD an IDE or a SATA drive.

If it's the former you will have trouble installing it.

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD