Unlabeled Cables

Go to solution Solved by KRC1023,

Alright. I'd say buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455234677&sr=1-1&keywords=ethernet+cable+tester

Just make sure that while using it you don't have any network devices plugged in- it would fry them.

Hi, so the idiot that wired my house did not label the cables to where each ones goes. What would be the best way to solve this issue? 

2 hours ago, KRC1023 said:

What type of cables are these?

Cat5e, not sure why that matters 

2 minutes ago, Yames said:

Cat5e, not sure why that matters 

are they different colors?

otherwise, attach a computer to one end and move a computer from cable to cable to see which one runs between them

2 hours ago, Josephdalepi said:

are they different colors?

otherwise, attach a computer to one end and move a computer from cable to cable to see which one runs between them

Uuuuuuuuggghhhhhhhhh

My post doesn't seem to have gone through.

Buy one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Tonor-RJ45-Network-Cable-Tester/dp/B00OUFX38W/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1455234677&sr=1-1&keywords=ethernet+cable+tester

Not that expensive and easy to use. Just don't have any network devices plugged in while doing the testing- it could fry them.

1 minute ago, Yames said:

Uuuuuuuuggghhhhhhhhh

i know it sucks, but thats what you gotta do if you want want to buy anything

reason i ran home cable myself

Well fuck the guy that didn't label the wires (SMH)

1 minute ago, Yames said:

How does it work

It works by plugging the transmit end into one of the cables, then going to the other end where they all come out and plugging the receive end into all of them until you see the lights blinking. Label that one, then move on to another.

2 hours ago, KRC1023 said:

It works by plugging the transmit end into one of the cables, then going to the other end where they all come out and plugging the receive end into all of them until you see the lights blinking. Label that one, then move on to another.

Both ends have to be RJ45? 

2 minutes ago, Yames said:

Both ends have to be RJ45? 

yes and no some testers have both rj45 and rj 11 the telephone connector. but for the cable your testing it has to have the same ends on both if not then you have to change it since the tester probably wont work

main rig

Spoiler

corsair 750d | evga 1000w g2 | Gigabyte x99 soc champ | 5820k 4.0GHz | 1tb wd blue | 250gb samsung 840 evo  | Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 16GB 8x2 DDR4-2400 | MSI GTX 970 x2 | monitor Acer B286HK 28" 4K | razor chroma blackwidow  | razor death adder chroma

CENTOS 7 SERVER (PLEX&docker stuff)

Spoiler

NZXT s220 | evga 500w 80+ | AMD FX 8320e | ASUS M5A78L-M/USB3 | 2x8gb non ecc ddr3 WD red 2TBx2 | seagate 160gb microcenter 8gb flashdrive OS

A cheap dirty fix is to use a 9volt battery and a small led. Connect neg/postive to first 2 wires in ethernet and then move led from outlet to outlet. I have done this with RJ11, so I would "think" it should work with RJ45 in a pinch. Buying a actual meter is much better though if possible.