over clocking q6600

I have a q6600 in a Biostar G41 motherboard cooled buy a coolmaster hyper 212 plus, ive over clocked amd systems before but never intel and never anything this old I was wondering if i could get some advice here.

Seeing you have a G41 board (I have 2 also) I would not expect to get a large overclock out of the chips mainly for the reason that that and most G41 boards have no real form of VRM cooling. On that particular board I would advise keeping the CPU core voltage at most 1.3v and 1.32v if you need it. To start on that chip try starting at 1.225v on the VCore and leave the FSB stock (1066) to make sure that voltage is stable at stock 2.4Ghz (run Prime95 for 5min to pass at least the first set of test for now) then just keep bumping up the FSB and voltage if needed. My guess is you can expect around 2.8Ghz-3.0Ghz with that setup and temperatures should not be an issue :) Let me know if you need anymore help with the fine details or whatnot. Make sure to disable any power saving features in the bios. If you experience any problems we might need to mess with the RAM but we can get to that if need be. 

A shadowy flight into the dangerous world of a man who does not exist.

Core 4 Quad Not Extreme, only available on LGA 557 at your local Circuit City

2 hours ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Seeing you have a G41 board (I have 2 also) I would not expect to get a large overclock out of the chips mainly for the reason that that and most G41 boards have no real form of VRM cooling. On that particular board I would advise keeping the CPU core voltage at most 1.3v and 1.32v if you need it. To start on that chip try starting at 1.225v on the VCore and leave the FSB stock (1066) to make sure that voltage is stable at stock 2.4Ghz (run Prime95 for 5min to pass at least the first set of test for now) then just keep bumping up the FSB and voltage if needed. My guess is you can expect around 2.8Ghz-3.0Ghz with that setup and temperatures should not be an issue :) Let me know if you need anymore help with the fine details or whatnot. Make sure to disable any power saving features in the bios. If you experience any problems we might need to mess with the RAM but we can get to that if need be. 

yeah all i want is a 3.0ghz clock but the voltage thing only lets me go up by .05, .10, and .150

58 minutes ago, impledob said:

yeah all i want is a 3.0ghz clock but the voltage thing only lets me go up by .05, .10, and .150

Weird ok well try .05 first then go up from there if needed :) 

i got up to about 2.8 but when i try to go above .05 V it crashes.

3 minutes ago, iHardware Shelden said:

Weird ok well try .05 first then go up from there if needed :) 

and i have a 500 Watt Silver rated PSU

1 minute ago, impledob said:

and i have a 500 Watt Silver rated PSU

That should be more than fine assuming your GPU is not a power hog :) 

1 minute ago, impledob said:

i got up to about 2.8 but when i try to go above .05 V it crashes.

Alright you might be stuck at 2.8 then which is not all that bad, if you want to mess around with it more you might get lucky but it seems that motherboard is what is going to limit you. Is there any other voltage options in the bios?

• 3 weeks later...

Those were the only ones concerning the CPU