I'm looking to upgrade my processor and I've been gradually upgrade different aspects of my PC over the years. You can see my current specs at the end of my post.

I've narrowed down my two choices to the FX-8320 or the FX-8350. Now I'm wondering which I should go with. Some say that the 8320 OC'd is the way to go due to it being cheaper but I'm wondering more on which would be better for longevity. Would the 8350 be worth the extra $50 for the sake of it staying relevant longer and being able to overclock it further if the times comes when I need to? Or does it not really matter at all.

CPU
    AMD Phenom II X4 965
Motherboard
    MSI 970A-G46
Graphics
    1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6870

No, the 8320 is an incredibly good chip and you can easily level out the performance of the two chips, especially since the best overclocking 8350's don't exist anymore. Overclocking doesn't scale well once you start getting higher overclocks, so you will effectively have the same or incredibly similar performance between the two

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I'm looking to upgrade my processor and I've been gradually upgrade different aspects of my PC over the years. You can see my current specs at the end of my post.

I've narrowed down my two choices to the FX-8320 or the FX-8350. Now I'm wondering which I should go with. Some say that the 8320 OC'd is the way to go due to it being cheaper but I'm wondering more on which would be better for longevity. Would the 8350 be worth the extra $50 for the sake of it staying relevant longer and being able to overclock it further if the times comes when I need to? Or does it not really matter at all.

CPU

AMD Phenom II X4 965

Motherboard

MSI 970A-G46

Graphics

1024MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 6870

http://www.overclock.net/t/946407/amd-motherboards-vrm-info-database

Check your mobo.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

No, the 8320 is an incredibly good chip and you can easily level out the performance of the two chips, especially since the best overclocking 8350's don't exist anymore. Overclocking doesn't scale well once you start getting higher overclocks, so you will effectively have the same or incredibly similar performance between the two

"best overclocking 8350" NEVER existed. Do you really think that AMD took only month or so to gather an amount of 4,7GHz-5GHz chips? It took them ever since they started producing 83xx CPUs.

So... If Jesus had the gold, would he buy himself out instead of waiting 3 days for the respawn?

CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t ][ GPU: GeForce 9600GT 512mb DDR3 ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 2x4GB Kingston 1333MHz CL9 DDR3 ][ HDD: Western Digital Green 2TB ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: No-name without airflow or dust filters Budget saved for an upgrade so far: 2400PLN (600€) - Initial 2800PLN (700€) Upgraded already: CPU

"best overclocking 8350" NEVER existed. Do you really think that AMD took only month or so to gather an amount of 4,7GHz-5GHz chips? It took them ever since they started producing 83xx CPUs.

One can dream can't they

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

Thanks for having me.

So it seems the consensus is the 8320. That's good, I like the fact that that's the cheaper option. I've already got a decent after market cooler so OC'd 8320 it is. Thanks everyone.