Cpu OverTemperature at startup

SalimTufts

Hey! So i just switched cases recently, and when i turned it on, a message came on screen that said CPU overtemperaturw error press f1 to continue, so i did and in the BIOS it said my cpu was at 260°F/127°C!! I have no idea what is happening, i just recently tried re-applying thermal paste and everything, but it still does that! Plz help me, i've never had this error before

The CPU is not running at that temperature I assure you. It would be dead if it were.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

2 minutes ago, SalimTufts said:

Hey! So i just switched cases recently, and when i turned it on, a message came on screen that said CPU overtemperaturw error press f1 to continue, so i did and in the BIOS it said my cpu was at 260°F/127°C!! I have no idea what is happening, i just recently tried re-applying thermal paste and everything, but it still does that! Plz help me, i've never had this error before

What's your cooler and what's your CPU?  Is your cooler mounted properly?  Is it making contact with the CPU?

i5-4690k@4.5GHz || MSI GTX 970 || MSI z97 Gaming 5 || NZXT Kraken x61 || WD Black 1TB || Crucial MX100 || 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro || Corsair RM750 || NZXT H440 || Corsair k70 RGB mx browns || Acer H236HL || ViewSonic VX2255wm-4

6 minutes ago, SalimTufts said:

but can you boot into windows?

IF YOU WANT ME TO REPLY TO YOU, QUOTE MY POST.

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

easy step first lol This maybe a dumb respones but if you did just move parts over did you make sure the cpu fan is connected  and running

2nd step if as you said you reapplied the  thermal paste then If you can get in to windows  check your temps on cpu z  if your temps are normal  you could try clearing the CMOS or updating the BIOS

9 hours ago, jj1781 said:

easy step first lol This maybe a dumb respones but if you did just move parts over did you make sure the cpu fan is connected  and running

2nd step if as you said you reapplied the  thermal paste then If you can get in to windows  check your temps on cpu z  if your temps are normal  you could try clearing the CMOS or updating the BIOS

10 hours ago, Minsekt said:

but can you boot into windows?

Yes

10 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

The CPU is not running at that temperature I assure you. It would be dead if it were.

Ok, is it just a glitch or something?

Just now, SalimTufts said:

Ok, is it just a glitch or something?

Is the CPU cooler exhausting a lot of heat?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

10 hours ago, Amazingasian said:

What's your cooler and what's your CPU?  Is your cooler mounted properly?  Is it making contact with the CPU?

I have the amd a6-7400k with stock cooler, and it is making contact with the CPU. 

9 hours ago, jj1781 said:

I had speed fan downloaded so I checked there first and it said the exact same as the BIOS, I will go ahead and download CPU z and check there 

3 minutes ago, SalimTufts said:

Yes

so what temps do you have while in windows? use coretemp. does your pc suddenly shut down or can you use everything, in other words does your cpu start throttling?

Fire Strike Score

5820K @ 4.8GHZ - 1.25v / Uncore @ 4.5GHZ - 1.2v / 3000MHZ G.skill 32GB Quad Channel / Asus Rampage V Extreme / 950 Pro Nvme / Sound Blaster ZxR  / 980 TI / Windows 7

Just now, SalimTufts said:

I had speed fan downloaded so I checked there first and it said the exact same as the BIOS, I will go ahead and download CPU z and check there 

cpu-z does not have a feature to read temperatures. use coretemp or realtemp.

Fire Strike Score

Just now, Minsekt said:

so what temps do you have while in windows? use coretemp. does your pc suddenly shut down or can you use everything, in other words does your cpu start throttling?

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

Is the CPU cooler exhausting a lot of heat?

No

1 minute ago, Minsekt said:

Ok

1 minute ago, SalimTufts said:

No

Then I feel like the temperature sensors are just not functioning.

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

Then I feel like the temperature sensors are just not functioning.

Ok. Is there any way for me to fix this?

3 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

I'll report back when I check the temps there

update/reflash bios, rma board/cpu

Fire Strike Score

1 minute ago, SalimTufts said:

Ok. Is there any way for me to fix this?

If they don't work, probably not.

5 minutes ago, SalimTufts said:

5 minutes ago, SalimTufts said:

9 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

This is what it looks like

image.jpg

8 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

If they don't work, probably not.

Ok

8 minutes ago, Minsekt said:

update/reflash bios, rma board/cpu

I just went onto the website to download a bios update, and in the description for the newest one, it says improve compatibility with CPU, do you think this could fix the problem?

thats possible, since coretemp doesnt event read your cpu model, the bios might fix that

23 minutes ago, SalimTufts said:

I just went onto the website to download a bios update, and in the description for the newest one, it says improve compatibility with CPU, do you think this could fix the problem?

Fire Strike Score

Amd Cpu/Apu as of the last few years do not read temperatures like Intel CPU's do. AMD changed the algorithm for calculating core temps. They claim that the temperature readings will be inaccurate until the core reaches 45+ Celsius at which point the temperatures will become ultra accurate. I cant explain the logic behind it but there are articles explaining it. The only real software that will read correct temps for newer AMD chips is AMD Overdrive, They have also suggested core-temp as it will correctly calculate the temps. Amd overdrive may not be supported by your motherboard if it was paired with overclocking software...eg. Asus AiSuite 3. My suggestion is to start with these software programs, Always check you motherboard manufacture support page for latest bios fixes and bug reports. Also it is possible that you damaged the back side of the motherboard on one of the mounting posts, like scratched the coating of revealing the copper circuits creating a short. Also core temp wil show "?" periodically on a freshly power cycled pc or an idle pc that hasn't been under load in a while. Mine does the same, 860K, asus a88x plus, be quiet pure rock, i never worry about cpu temps even gaming. newer cpus are not like they were 5-10 years ago. alot newer instructions and fail safes. 

Best of luck!

9 minutes ago, Devinirv said:

Amd Cpu/Apu as of the last few years do not read temperatures like Intel CPU's do. AMD changed the algorithm for calculating core temps. They claim that the temperature readings will be inaccurate until the core reaches 45+ Celsius at which point the temperatures will become ultra accurate. I cant explain the logic behind it but there are articles explaining it.

Intel also suffer from incorrect low temps, just not as much. The temp sensors were designed for one function: To tell the CPU when to throttle.

They only have to be accurate when at a high temp, it's just a cherry on the top of a cake that we are able to read from it at all, and that it gives any function when at low temps.

It's not a race to the bottom.