Windows installation errors (help needed)

Rui

Hi,

I recently built my own gaming oriented pc.

in this quest for a powerhouse of a computer, I bought a CD installation for windows.

i have the pc completely built, with its current operating system being Ubuntu. the problem with linux is i cant download my components drivers, therefore i cannot access the web, this is why i have the windows bootable CD.

now when i used the cd with an external optical drive, i encountered an error which told me there was a missing driver. i decided it may be because of the external optical drive, and moved all the files to a bootable usb. this attempt resulted in the same error, and i havent found a way around it.

my question is how to fix this, and if perhaps the windows bootable CD is dysfunctional. any comments or ways to do it differently will be greatly appreciated.

thank you,

Rui

Microsoft does not play nice with Linux, in order to have Linux and windows on the same system you must first wipe the entire drive, install windows, then install Ubuntu alongside windows. I highly suggest you do this because you can really mess up your MBR / disk by doing it the opposite way.

which driver does it say is missing? 

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

Also your boot Hard drive should be formatted before you try and install windows

| MOBO MSI Z97 Gaming 3 | CPU i7-4790K @ 4.7GHz | RAM G.Skill 16GB 2133MHz | SSD Kingston 240GB / HDD Seagate 3TB | GPU MSI Gaming GTX 970 |

| Cooling CM Nepton 240M | Display Philips BDM4065UC 40in 4K | Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry Blue | Mouse Logitech G502 | Case Fractal Design Core 2500 |

PSU Rankings

What version of Linux? What version of Windows? What specific errors are you receiving? Should be able to help you out.

Just now, Van Weapon said:

which driver does it say is missing? 

it tells me a CD/DVD driver is missing, and thats it. i searched up the driver, but it doesnt exist anywhere, ill try using the advice given by the guy before you, and wipe and format the boot drive.

Just now, KraftDinner said:

Microsoft does not play nice with Linux, in order to have Linux and windows on the same system you must first wipe the entire drive, install windows, then install Ubuntu alongside windows. I highly suggest you do this because you can really mess up your MBR / disk by doing it the opposite way.

i honestly just want windows, so quickly, how does one wipe an drive, for example an SSD?

you should be able to do it from BIOS, check your mobo's manual if you still have it, the process will be slightly different for each UEFI

PSU Rankings

Just now, Van Weapon said:

you should be able to do it from BIOS, check your mobo's manual if you still have it, the process will be slightly different for each UEFI

thank you

I'd try a USB 2 port on your PC if you're trying to boot from a USB 3 port.

Also check for USB boot settings in BIOS. Older Win 7 SP's do not support USB 3 out of the box. Make sure its set to be able to boot from USB on USB3 ports if you're using them. Setting to legacy boot may help.

You'll delete any current partitions during Windows install and do formatting at the same time.

here is the actual error message, this occured after i wiped my SSD.

image.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Rui said:

here is the actual error message, this occured after i wiped my SSD.

image.jpeg

Create a bootable USB and try that instead

You're loading Windows to RAM from the USB or external disk drive. It's irrelevant how your HDD is configured right now.

Just now, lowlyf said:

Set to legacy boot in BIOS and are you using USB2 port?

yes, both are currently enabled

Just now, lowlyf said:

You're loading Windows to RAM from the USB or external disk drive. It's irrelevant how your HDD is configured right now.

what do you mean specifically, im new to the tech world, therefore dumming it down may be easier for me

Create a bootable USB and try that instead

sad thing is, it is a bootable usb

When you boot from USB whether it is an external drive or thumb drive, it loads into system RAM. That's how we have live CD's that run an entirely different OS and are able to retain the data on our HDD. The live CD is loaded into ram and run from ram entirely. It's the same for Windows installation. The Windows installation is run entirely from RAM until you commit the OS install and it builds your MBR and filesystem. Your problem seems to be your motherboard cannot talk properly to your USB device. I'd try your USB external DVD drive, plug it into a usb 2 port, and try to boot from the actual DVD. Most likely the USB thumb drive has some kind of hardware encryption or just a weird config that your bios doesn't like. Check out this thread as well.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/67974-63-trying-install-windows-required-driver-missing

The solution will come from tweaking USB boot settings in BIOS or updating BIOS altogether. If you have a better (ie not a cheap one) USB thumb drive try that too. They're are lists of USB thumb sticks available online that should be compatible with your MB. Also Google search your MB model and CD/DVD driver missing.

Essentially what your error is saying is that your windowsdisk contains drivers, just not one that is compatible with your usb boot device. If there are specific drivers for your USB stick or usb external DVD drive, load them at the screen you posted and you should be off to the races.

On the other hand it may be the BIOS itself is not configured to work with the USB device, thus causing the error which is slightly more likely.